1919 Motor Specifications?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1919 Motor Specifications?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

I am in the process of rewooding a 1923 Touring. It is going fine, but every day I look into the corner of my shop and see my 1919 motor (S/N 3313792) and wondering what is missing. It has a starter and a carburetor (complete I think} and the transfer case (also seems complete,) I looked inside. But what I am wondering is what does a complete 1919 motor look like? I know nothing about Model T ignition components. I am just starting to gather info. Anything will be helpful. Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Paul,

I am going the other way for a short time.
I will be putting a 26 motor in my 19 while the 19 motor is being rebuilt.
I will remove the starter and generator from the 26.

Although there are numerous minor differences as outlined in the encyclopedia the only major difference is the spacing of the pedals with the 19 being closer together.

At least that is what I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

In 1919 they added the starter and generator later in the year. It is believed that the early 1919 no starter, no generator motors were in fact left over 1918 model motors. No parts left behind!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I would expect no obvious differences between a 19 and a 23 motor. Full interchange with no problems. Of course it is nice if serial # of the motor in the car matches the # on the title. If you care about judging, then you would want a block from the correct year but for a driver, either a 19 or a 23 would act and look the same.

18 and earlier motors had no provision for a starter or generator although later parts could be used to add a starter. 26 and 27 blocks had some minor differences from the 25 and earlier but the most noticeable change was to the transmission brake drum and the pedal sizes and spacing. 26 or 27 fits in and earlier chassis just fine but you would need to modify the floor boards for the pedal spacing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Paul -- The only ignition components on a Model T engine are the timer, which is on the front, down low, and the spark plugs. The timer is round, about 3" diameter. If you have a distributor on the engine, someone has replaced the timer with that. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

No timer, no distributor. What is the best way to go? This will be a driver. In fact I have nothing related to ignition, except 3 spark plugs. No dash board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

If it has a working magneto, a timer and coils is the way to go. If not, the coils can be run from a battery, or a distributor can be installed. If the engine needs overhaul, I would recommend that you replace the magneto coils and charge the magnets or place the magneto if there is not one already in place. They run great with a good magneto and good coils. It is also a conversation piece. They usually have less problems on tours if you use the magneto and coils.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration