Wire Wheel Powder Coating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wire Wheel Powder Coating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Has anyone used Lab Metal prior to powder coating?

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm at the threshold of getting my wheels sand blasted and powder coated.

The powder coater, Rick's here in Memphis, told me that Lab Metal withstands the heat in the oven.

What I'd like to hear are tips for using Lab Metal to get the best, smoothest finish I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Lab Metal, as you have been told will work to fill pits and withstand the 400 to 450 degrees to cure the powder. Much like working with body filler, a bit harder to sand smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

I have a question, will the wire wheel with stand the temp. of the oven without damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

For powder coating? Is that the question? If it is, the wire wheels will withstand the temps of the powder coating process. Mine did and look nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson Helotes TX on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Check their web site. I bought some high temp a few weeks ago and the sales guy said you should heat it to fully cure it after application. The regular is only good to about 400 degrees.
I haven't tried it yet but supposed to be good for 1000 deg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I have had model A wire wheels powder coated, as well as MG wire wheels.
Even had some done twice because the color was poor on a model A. have never heard of any damage done to wheels from powder coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I used the Hi-temp lab metal with great results. If you work it within a half hour or so after application, it works like bondo. I took my stuff to the powdercoaters the day after I worked it, and the oven did the curing. My only concern about wheels would be the tire slipping on the rim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration