Any one know what this valve on intake is for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Any one know what this valve on intake is for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

What is this valve for on our 16? On an earlier thread about a T on e-bay it has a whistle. On same spot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

It's an old trick to that's suppose to increase gas mileage - opening the valve increases the air to the fuel mixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

"increases the air to the fuel mixture" is clunky.

Adds more air to the fuel mixture (makes it leaner) is a better description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Paul, the better devices are adjustable from the driver's seat. The one on my roadster has a pair of discs with holes in. By altering the position of one disc over the holes in the other, the amount of extra air induced can be controlled. All rather a gimick which used wrongly could lead to a very lean mixture and burned valves.

I am re-fitting mine as an original accessory, but it will be in-operable. Perhaps that tap in yours may just be something fitted to block the hole used by one such device.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Erik and Allan I think you may be right it has a very small opening I guess you could start car and then open valve to lean it out I dont see how it would save much gas but maybe you could leave carb a little rich to make it start easy and not mess with adjustment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.E.Moore TN on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Would be perfect on those hot days to stop hot fuel vapor to the cylinders and not so flooded hot starts???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

the previous owner may have just used it to plug a hole for a wolf whistle :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

To elaborate on my original post and to add to Allen Bennett's post:

My '17 roadster also came with an accessory that Allen Bennett described in his post - a similarly designed valve on the intake with a cable and lever on the steering column to open and close the valve.

If I had an old Western Auto Catalog handy, I could probably locate an advertisement for this type of device.

If you ever look at old Ford Owner and Dealer magazines and similar publications from the teens and twenties, putting a petcock on the intake manifold to allow more air and supposedly increase gas mileage was one of many reader suggestions and other backyard tricks to "improve" the performance of a Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:24 am:

I'm confused. How would introducing air at the intake manifold be any different than simply leaning the carb with the mixture screw? Or was this kind of a "snake oil" thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Bud,

Exactly. It is a vacuum leak. You could open the valve, and then you would need to compensate by making the mixture richer so the car would run right, but it would idle really fast because of the open hole in the manifold.

A great way for a vendor to make a buck off of an unsuspecting, na´ve car owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Most likely at one time had an accessary vacuum horn or wipers and was eventually plugged off with the nearest thing available. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

I read in Murray Fahnestock's Fordowner's book that back-in-the-day such a valve was used while engine braking with the ignition off. This was done while descending a steep grade and would help to not continually suck gasoline into the cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I dont see any trace of wind. sheld. wipers on car. the hole in valve is very small. I have seen other pics. of Ts with valve on intake on old threads on this forum. the car also has an exaust cut out so org. owner may have tried to get all the power he could get

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Keep us posted on the progress on your wonderful 1916. I'm willing to bet, your car has very few miles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:09 am:

thanks Larry I am getting a little closer to get it started I got the valves free I plan to put up some pics. soon. I can now post pics. by my self!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Paul since it is already there I would see if it could be used to hook up a vacuum gauge when tuning the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Ether injection port to help cold starting.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration