Steering tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

I will like to change the flange from a damaged 26-7 tube , I have a good earlier car tube but don't see how it is held on ,the 26 has 2 rivits
on the base the older has no rivits
Anyone can give me a north on how to do this
Thank you ..Loren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

more picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

It will be best if you cut both flanges off about 6 inches above the flange and then weld the bases to the desired tube. Properly done the weld will not be noticed or seen. I have shortened steering columns and you can not tell where I cut them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

Jack's reasoning is one good way to do it and can be done easily. Why don't you post for a tube for an improved car and just change the tube. I have several that I could let go of one. Some are in better shape than others but they are pretty common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Lorenzo, as far as I know, there is a different angle between the two tubes you show, so they are not interchangeable. It would be best to find another tube which is correct for your application.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Allan, if he welds the base from the improved tube to the early tube it won't matter since, the angle is determined by the mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:56 am:

I found that the bottom flange is brazed on, a long with the bracket inside that holds the shaft centered.the rivets don't real go through the tube on mine, just made dents to hold it in place while being brazed together.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:00 am:

Drill the rivets out, and then heat it hot with a torch, and it should tap off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:18 am:

I have a friend that will weld them , ill see how it turns out------ Thank you All for input ,lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:34 am:

James, Lorenzo wants to replace the flange on a 26-7 column. These columns sit at a lower angle to the frame. If the earlier flange is fitted, to get the tube and the lower steering bracket on the frame in line, the components should be fitted to the car before welding. Otherwise there is a real risk that the replacement flange will not sit flush on the firewall.

When lowering a steering column on a speedster, it is necessary to fit a tapered spacer between the flange and the firewall. lorenzo needs to get the angle correct, or he may need such a spacer to have things line up. This is a critical area. When lowering a column for a speedster, a wedge is need under the lower bracket. Get this wrong and there is load on the shaft in the bracket, and steering becomes problematical. Mis-alignment of the flange on the column will have the same effect.

I could be wrong, again! But if I am not, this may save some grief.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration