New (to me) Wire Wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New (to me) Wire Wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:26 am:

Finally got my wire wheels on Eliza. Still have to get brass hubcaps on and clean up a few things, but I'm very pleased with how they turned out. They run nice and straight and true.

And my TiN coated lug nuts work GREAT. I can't mark them up because the coating is so tough and they don't stick out like a sore thumb now like they would if they were chrome instead of the brass color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:32 am:

Looks real nice :-)
Did you powder coat the wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:41 am:

No - just some enamel with a hardener. I looked at getting them powder coated but it was going to be too expensive for me. I ended up saving a ton of money painting them myself. I think they turned out pretty great, for a shade-tree mechanic anyway. =P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:10 am:

They look great, it's hard to cover every angle when painting - I used an old electric engine and a bicycle rim liner to rotate mine while painting :-)

rotasserie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Looks great Seth!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Seth,
It looks like you put modern headlights in that thing.
How did you do that?
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Howdy Jon - those are 6 volt sealed beam headlamps (they're still readily available as they are used on a Jeep CJ-5). It's pretty cool since I get true high and low beams. I didn't do it, but it came to me that way. There is a really nifty kit that holds them in place. It's not a home job as the kit is definitely purpose built. I'll try to remember to take pics when I am back with car later today.

I would actually really like to go back to more stock looking headlamps with the glass doors and the reflector in the back, but use an electric light in place of the burner. At the same time, she's been this way since long before I was even born - I will probably just leave her just like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

I did that just last Saturday. Powder coated Dr. Pepper red just like Roger's picture above. They went on a '26 roadster that had clear varnished 30 X 3 1/2. Talk about looking goofy. The roadster was originally a non electric, non demountable no frills car but the original owner's son 'updated' it to electrics and demountables. The man who updated it was also the friend who mentored me on my first Model T in either '65 or '66. Now I feel honored to have added the T to my collection and, I feel, it looks much better with the red wire wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Wow Seth that really looks great!
I have been following your speedster build for a few years now and the progress you have made to turn your car into impressive machine, keep up the good work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 06:54 am:

Thanks Mike! It goes a lot slower than I'd like it to. Although, I guess it'd be easier if I didn't always want something else for it, ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Seth,
Your wheels look great! However, I question how you saved a ton of money painting them vice powder coating.
This year, I had 5 wire wheels for my 29 model A powdered coated for $150.00 total. This included sand blast prior to coating. Three years ago, I finished a set of 5 Budd wire wheels for our 13 model T touring. My cost was $100.00 for sand blasting, $75.00 Polyester primer and $150.00 for a Gal. of Urethane paint plus $15.00 for hardener. In addition to the cost of materials....it's a lot of work prepping wire wheels for painting.
A quart of paint is not enough to spray paint a set of wire wheels. You waste a lot of paint making sure all areas around each spoke is covered. I use a modern gravity feed spray gun....my old suction spray guns even use more paint by comparison. If you already had the materials, then I can understand some savings. However, you must like sanding wire wheels much more than me.

Eliza does look good! A friend and I have been gathering parts to build a speedster also. Ours will have disk wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:32 am:

I saved a bunch because I don't know how you guys find powder coating for that cheap. If I could have had my wheels color really right and powder coated for $150 I would have done that no problem.

It was just cheaper for me to only have to buy the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I understand. There are a number of powder coating sources near where I live. In my area, the cost of powder coating has gone down....possible due to competition.
Before retiring, I traveled to the Marine Base, Camp Lejune N.C. (Near Jacksonville) working with the Marines on river assault craft. Did a lot of design changes and up grades on the craft over several years.
Enjoyed eating Cat fish and Sea food in N.C. The best Cat fish I have ever eaten was there.

Thank you for all the valuable information that you post and share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I'm just right up the road about an hour from Camp Lejeune - in Havelock, at MCAS Cherry Point. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Do you have brass w. w. caps, Seth - I have a new set of 5 that were going on a project but went a different direction with wheels - make you a deal ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Thank you Steve, I do have the brass hub caps. I ended up installing them on all of the wheels right after taking that picture. I bought them brand new a few months ago. I appreciate the offer! Sorry I can't take them off of your hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Seth,
Wished I had known you then. Have been retired for 12 yrs. I spent many a week end looking for something of interest near the base. Most old car interest in the area seemed to be Hot Rods and 50 era. cars. No early cars. Back then, I was given a Government car to drive to and from work. Was turned in by the locals for eating at a dinner in town on a week end. Was told never to park near a Bar under fear of loosing my head.
Did attend a local drag strip event on a week end night.....the ticket taker told me to park the Government car back in the bushes hidden by trees. Enjoyed the event.....you were able to sit much closer to the start line than you can in Calif. Some of the local Boy's had a lot of hair or were nuts driving crotch rockets that were all engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Up here it is $100 a piece, so that would be $500 for 5 wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:32 am:

Here she is with hubcaps and brass all polished up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:02 am:

looks good Seth ..:-):-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration