I found a hidden treasure trove of horseless-carriage parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I found a hidden treasure trove of horseless-carriage parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Several months ago I pursued a craigslist add for some model T parts near me. When I got there I found a barn full of early horseless carriage parts. The guy just wanted it gone. In my first trip I ended with a nonpariel double twist horn, an original Boyco service unit, an early accessory bumper, and some other misc stuff. My second trip yielded a stewart spedo with the cable, and around 8 early high end side lamps. I sold the side lamps and scored so I used the money from that to buy the whole barn. I know it's not mostly model T, but I'd still like to post some pictures of it. Any help Identifying peices or valuing them would be greatly appreciated!

I have several of these Bosch D4 magnetos.
Several eisman G4 magnetos

And a lot of other Eisman and Bosch magnetos.
I also ended up with some neat radiator caps. This first one was on ebay for 900. I don't know how accurate that is.

(Message edited by adminchris on May 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Great find. Those were early Bosch mags weren't they? My '23 White uses the G4's and they work quite well.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I have a bunch of white parts in the lot so that is possible. Here are all the mags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Jumpin JEHOSEPHAT! He wanted you to just TAKE all of that stuff away?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Were there any Kinwood oiler parts in the lot? Searching for parts for my 1911 Sears. Thank you for your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I'll look when I get a chance. I have piles of oilers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

Daniel what year White parts? Need some for our 1913 GAF 30. Especially a good block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Daniel, I need some of the Eismann Mag parts for a 20's Centaur tractor that I'm in process of restoring. Please contact me. I'm going to send you an email offline. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

If any of those Bosch mags are twin spark (fire dual plugs) you have hit the lotto! They can be worth $1000's. IF they are just run of the mill DU-4 mags, they should have a good $50 and up value depending upon their condition. I usually look at closed Ebay auctions to get an idea of real values.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:22 am:

How do I tell which is which? The original owner had a lot of high end cars so anything is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:57 am:

This one says dual on the side, and I think I have several of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Also if anyone could tell me how to edit my post's title, I'd like to fix it so I look a little more intelligent.

Sorry Dan you can't edit the title just the body for a short length of time.

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Quite the find. I'm not one to usually say don't throw anything away but the stuff you have pictured so far is fairly rare and has value to people. It's a shame to think that the guy you bought it from probably would have just as soon sold the stuff to the scrap man as to a collector.

Keep the pictures coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:57 am:

" Dual" indicates that it will function either with a trembler coil for starting, or as a conventional high voltage magneto for normal running. This is as distinct from a "Twin spark", with a double distributer block and leads to two sets of leads to two plugs per cylinder. via Ivan Saxton AACA forum post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Twin spark magnetos, notice the dual wire blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Ok, that explains it. Do people get them confused, there are D4 dual mags exactly like mine listed for 1200-1500 on pre war cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Overpriced, but that is what fishing is all about. Bait the hook, and wait for the fish who doesn't know better I guess. They tend to be for high end cars, so money often isn't a concern for some folks. A nice working example ready to run is about 250-3 on ebay. Here is one recently sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-DR4-DUAL-Hi-Tension-Magneto-Starter-MODEL-T-FORD-/ 281646513571?vxp=mtr&hash=item419370bda3&nma=true&si=amMk9NIpe4UfpcgEOjjzJ6F%252 FhWw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Does anyone want to take any guesses on the manifold, and the timing cover? The cylinder head says Cad on it, I'm assuming that means Cadillac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

6volt Wagner starterI have a pair of these, the guy thought they were willys knight, or overland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

The manifold and timing cover are Overland. charley will probably tell us what year. Also the bearing caps may go with them.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Awesome, this is super helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Does anyone know what the electric motor with gear case & gear sprocket is & fits ??.

REASON IS THAT I HAVE ACCESS TO ONE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Bob T.
REO I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Thanks Layden---WHAT ERA DO YOU THINK ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:26 am:

The chain drive starter was also used on the Big & Special Six Studebakers up to 1924

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Thanks Mark-What happens in the chain system after the engine starts.

DOES IT HAVE A RATCHET SOME WERE ???>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

There is a one-way dog clutch set-up on the front of the crank and just behind the bottom fan pulley - once started it lets the chain sprocket freewheel on the crank.

I continually see people try and say they are for early Harley & Indian bikes due to the sprocket - must be a rare option for a bike without the kick-start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Here are the contents of the "overland" box. The guy seemed to have been very organized, and made wooden boxed to organize his stuff. It seems like this was his parts box for his overland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

This chain drive part says Randall on it. It looks super early. The piece next to it may go with it, or may not, I can't tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Thanks Mark&Daniel. I wonder if it had been fitted on to an OVERLAND in some way..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Stewart Vacuum Gasoline systems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Thompson on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:53 am:

I have a 14 Overland and am looking for the Gray Davis starter. I didn't see one in the pile of goodies, but I'm just asking if any of you guys may have one? It's the same one as shown mounted on the engine posted by Ed in California

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:07 am:

The cylinder head with the two valves and springs is four cylinder Cadillac. It appears that there may be flat areas on the sides from the valve chambers, if so it is 1912. if no flats 1911. I don't think it could be 1910 or earlier because it appears to have studs on the top to bolt on the water manifold. 1910 and earlier had individual fittings that screwed into the head and were connected together with hoses
Is it for sale and if so how much?
Dale pre15dale@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Nice find. I'm almost sure there was a box of old odd spark plugs there that might fit in my collection. Let me know - and thanks for checking,
Terry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

11 lodge BBL, 4 champion X, 5 champion A25, 2 can't break, 5 ac43 com, 6 autolite bt10, 2KLG A30, 2 champion 33, 2 champion 0 Com, a handful of rents, 2 Auburn 78, 2 splitdorf.
None of it is really nos, some spear to have not been fired, but all the boxes are opened and some are used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks. Will drop you a note.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Daniel i need the part # on the overland manifold & timing cover. then i can tell you what year there are. and if i need them. thanks Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

When I get home I will Pm the parts numbers off of them to you. I've gotten a lot of emails about those. I wish I knew more about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

Two 28x3 tires that look like they have never been on the road. There is some cracking in them, but I can't see why because they aren't brittle or anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Speedos, two will probably free up. Two are parts only.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration