New project - Popeye!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New project - Popeye!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Had to rescue this one. It was needing attention. Introducing Popeye the 1922 touring:

Popeye has a gas tank full of rust, no upholstery, and no rust. It has a WICO magneto, Ruckstell with 3:1 gears, and Hassler shocks. The radiator is bad and the water pump leaks all over. Low band is shot, otherwise it runs OK. Generator is toasted, and the starter is about done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

I like those TIRES!! Those are my favorite.

What in the world is going on with those crazy headlight lenses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

It has a near new looking set of five Allstate (Sears Best) tires on 1927 wire wheels. They have cracks, may not be good for driving.

The headlight lenses are a period accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Cool project good luck:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Royce - I've got a couple tires that look like those. Mine are nylon casings which I'm told make all the difference! Been told that even the weather checked tires with nylon casings are better than the old type cotton or rayon (or whatever they were) casings.

Nice solid looking "T" by the way,....but I thought you were pretty much a "brass T" kinda' guy,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Did you get that one from Ivan? I may have some pictures of this T before he bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Royce wont this be your 'newest' T? A Black one to go with the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Great name Royce! Love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Royce - This looks like a good restoration project. It'll be fun to watch the progress.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Dennis,

Yes it was Ivan's. I promised him a ride after it is fixed but first he has to get a suitable dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Should be easy to fix that leaking water pump. Two bolts and hose clamp, throw it toward the iron pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Royce,I have several sets of top bows that will fit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Stan, I though all the improved cars had water pumps. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Owen on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Royce,
Did you get the name Popeye from those headlight lens covers? Nice car, looks like a good project. Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Royce - those headlight lenses are keepers given that christening name!!! Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

If you move the spare tire from in front of the radiator and remove the water pump, maybe it would not overheat. Check the low drum. If the band has been slipping for a long time, the drum could be cracked. If the drum is a bluish color, it has been overheating.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Royce, looks like a great project, best of luck with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Royce - great name for a model T having those head light lenses. Looks like a fun project for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:32 am:

The engine seems pretty strong. It has a Zenith intake manifold with a Tillotson Model A carburetor. Throttle linkage is crude and needs work.......

The front suspension is unusual, with a pair of trailing links connected to ball joints on the frame replacing the wishbone. Never seen anything like it before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:20 am:

"Popeye" won't work. "Sleepy" fits it better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Lol Ivan is right. Now that I see those headlamp lenses up close. Sleepy looks exhausted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Thanks for the Better picture of the headlight lenses. We can see how charming they really are. Now everyone will want some. It amazes me how many variations of T's there are. They each seem to take on their own personality.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:31 am:

The rest of the story. I also have a 27' Roadster that is my main ride. My dearly departed dog "Sparky" told me a few years ago that if MAW wanted to ride with us I would have to get a Touring. Things came to pass and we moved from our ranch near Dallas to Georgetown, TX. Now I have no shop and the 22' just sat. Along came Royce and rescued "Sleepy". Before I started to restore it was a pretty good driver.Peeking out of barn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Is Royce gonna remove water pump?. Stay tuned!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:44 am:

I'm surprised he didn't take it off before he put Sleepy on the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

Looks like the perfect car for a 'hard luck' drive to the coffee shop, and then moan about how times are so rough now! Some old britches and a rope belt outta help! Nice catch!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Royce,

Nice looking touring and some interesting accessories.

If you find a body number on the right front floor board riser please let me know. Beaudett (also spelled Beaudette) was still stamping that area with a letter, number, and then the year in the first half of calendar year 1922 (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/A-B.htm scroll down to Beaudett). I don't know if any other body makers were doing that or not.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Royce,
I have a no name....Zenith style?? manifold with a Tillotson Model A style carburetor on my touring. Have been running it for 10 years and am very happy with how it performs. Still get around 20 MPG. If you remove the manifold/carb. please let me know as I would be very interested.
Don't throw that set up in the junk pile....I would buy it. Also, what is the ignition set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Les,

I like it too! The Magneto is a Wico with impulse coupling. It throws quite a hot spark. I like it a lot too.

Hap,

Popeye is actually a 1923 titled as a '22 I found out after seeing the (slanted) windshield for the first time this morning. There are no numbers stamped in the floorboard riser. The car has a metal firewall, may or may not be original as it has a different patina than the adjoining body. The car is an assemblage of neat stuff, not a time capsule by any means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Actually Royce, the previous owner called it "Frankenstein".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Royce,

Thanks for checking for the number. It looks like it will make a fun T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration