OT - 1907ethanol research. Eric H., Maxwell cars are tested:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - 1907ethanol research. Eric H., Maxwell cars are tested:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Gas, ethanol and kerosene are compared. Also, the compression is listed:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Rob, thanks for posting this. I'll add it to my Maxwell history. It's a segment I didn't know. Apparently it was used later as I already knew of the 1914 Maxwell Indy race car run on kerosene.

https://books.google.com/books?id=duNp3hLLlkUC&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=Maxwell+keros ene+race+car&source=bl&ots=LC5CluTW6b&sig=6uj3kjn9-sh4suCAYRxfKUi6D_o&hl=en&sa=X &ei=ovFbVcPgMMPwsAWfo4HoBw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Maxwell%20kerosene%20race %20car&f=false

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:32 am:

A hundred years later, our society still hasn't accepted that alcohol is a ridiculously expensive way to power cars.

Thanks, for posting Rob. I love reading all of the interesting stuff that you dig up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:18 am:

The article states it's impossible to produce the metallic knock when running on alcohol even with the spark fully advanced. I wonder if a T would run faster and better on E85. I can't get that fuel here in Canada but, I was in the U.S. last week and I filled up my new F150 with it. The engine was much smoother and faster revving and I only lost 1 liter per 100 km while trailering my T. After dropping the trailer at home, I went out for a test drive. I couldn't believe what a rocket that truck became and so smooth. It reminded me of some Mercedes AMG cars I've driven. Has anyone here tried E85 in their T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Hal Davis drove a full year exclusively on E85 with his TT as an experiment:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/297694.html?1341064408

I tried just one tank and got about the same results as Hal - worse fuel mileage (got an unexpected fuel stop out in the boonies, fortunately I had a can of gas with me..) and a little less power.

The lower price here ($4.60 per gallon instead of $6.50 for regular gas) just about compensates for the worse mileage so I don't think I'll be using it much in my T..
I can save a few $$ by mixing 10-20% in the daily driver since the electronic injection in my '98 Renault beater doesn't compensate and thus runs a bit lean with the mix, so that's what I use it for.

(Message edited by Roger K on May 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:52 am:

In 1913, too, a paper was presented to the Mid west chapter of the SAE about the future of "Liquid Motor Fuel." The paper presented that alcohol was detrimental to metal. There was the high cost of production. The writer stated,"I am just as confident today (1913) as I was seven years ago (1906) that grain alcohol will never be used to any appreciable extent for propulsion of motor cars or motor boats......"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Thanks for the link Roger and to Hal for doing the testing. That's good enough for me. I won't be trying that stuff in my T.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration