Door lock on 1924 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Door lock on 1924 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

I have a 1924 coupe and while there is a hole in the passengers door for an external door lock, the lock was missing. Recently I found what i think is a suitable lock and removed the door lock to fit the external key lock. There is nothing inside the lock. The drivers door has a lever operated from inside the coupe and seems quite different.
If anyone has a lock for the passenger door I would sure appreciate a picture of what the mechanism looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Here is a thread with some pictures of 1924 style coupe doors:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/247524.html?1321848936

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

I think Tony's question is about the lock latch mechanism itself. This is the lockset that the door handle goes into, not the cylinder that the key goes into.

Tony is saying the lockset is missing the section that the tailpiece from the key cylinder goes into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

I checked my stash,and I have an extra drivers side latch,but not the one Tony needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

I pulled the door lock from the drivers side to see if it would give me a clue on how the original lock worked. This is a picture of the two locks, the drivers on the left, the passenger on the right.

The internal lock is visible on the drivers side and operated by a little lever from inside the cabin. The detail of the mechanism is below:

The locking mechanism shows a little tab dropping into the boss that is operated by the external handle. Now the problem is that the hole in the door from the external key lock matches the hole above the sliding lock.
How on earth does the external lock, similar to John Page picture above, lock the slider???

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on May 21, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

My wife has just looked at the post and tells me I cannot buy a new (to me) Coupe so I can inspect the lock.....
New idea, does anyone need work done on a 1924 Coupe , (except me)?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration