Re-riveting brake drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Re-riveting brake drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Hi gents,
any secrets or special tools for replacing the brake drum rivets?

thanks
john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Only suggestion I have would be to either remove and replace one rivet at a time, or remove all the old and bolt up all the holes tight but one, the one you are riveting, then remove one bolt at a time as you continue. After you've done the job, turn the end with the peened ends on a lathe to make a smooth surface. To set the rivets I've used a hammer and punch. I've also used a press for a neater job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:34 am:

I second what rchard saying bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:57 am:

John, a second set of hands is invaluable. Have someone else hold the assembly on a stout buck, while you do the pounding. It is essential that the back of the rivet is supported to avoid damage to the drum.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I've always used a press. You have to be careful that you don't press the rivets too hard or you'll split out a really nice drum. Did that once...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration