1912 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1912 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Gatehouse on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:59 am:

I am a newbie to this forum and hope to post questions and comments. Years ago I restored a 1926 touring then a 1923 truck but always wanted a brass car. So I am now restoring a late slab sided 1912 touring, concentrating right now on body wood, and frame. Hopefully I can find some dimensions or photos for the front part of the body for the 12. The rear of the car with doors is in excellent original condition, but I decided to rebuild it with new maple and oak. I will post photos later (you know how it goes, my son will know how to size them!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Pete, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on acquiring your 1912. I absolutely love my little red '12 Commercial Roadster Pickup! Incidentally, his name is also Pete!! He's in "sick bay" in the barn right now awaiting a bit of a resto finish, engine rebuild, sheet metal repainting, frame all painted, new brakes, new gas tank, new coils, refurbished coil box with original switch. He's gonna run great! You can see a pic of him on my profile. Good luck with the rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 08:22 am:

My site search abilities aren't the best, but isn't Richard Eagle rewooding a 12 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 08:35 am:

"The rear of the car with doors is in excellent original condition, but I decided to rebuild it with new maple and oak."

Pete -- If it's in excellent condition, why rebuild it? It seems to me that the more you can leave original, the better. Also, I don't believe Oak was used in the bodies. Maple and Ash would be better choices.

Regardless of what you do and how you do it, I think you'll enjoy having a brass T. Congratulations on your find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Everything Mike said is right.

Oak is a remarkable wood but it is not well suited for most of the wood parts in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

What problems does oak present? Is it too soft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Oak has to be pre - drilled to install nails. It is too hard to nail into. Splits easily when installing wood screws near edges. Not good for anything that requires nails or screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Ash is a much choice for use where there is stress. When oak is used for wheel spokes, there is real danger of the spoke splitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Darel - You are right about oak, but your post is a bit misleading. It reads like maybe ash is okay for spokes, and it's NOT! Only Shagbark Hickory for spokes, according to everything I've ever read on the subject. There may be some other wood that would be suitable for spokes, but of all of the COMMONLY available choices, shagbark hickory ONLY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Pete , here are some pix on my 12 slab side. I am not sure what pictures you want so I sent some of the front and front body seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Here's the rap on oak spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Pete:
What is missing from the front part of the body that you seek information for? Agreed with the consensus here...Oak is used nowhere on the 1912 body that I am aware of, and no good reason to substitute oak for other body woods. Also question your comment about rebuilding portions that sound like they are usable? Old adage about fixing things that are not broke comes to mind. Pardon if I am misinterpreting your post?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I should have said hickory. I know that it is and was used for spokes. Ash and oak are native here in central Minnesota. I Have several of each on my property. Two types of ash and three of oak. It would be nice to have a hickory tree or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Gatehouse on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Hi guys, This is the progress so far. All of what you see is maple, as per original. The oak parts include the door sill.(Not pictured) The oak parts are steam bent and I will use the original wood i think.
I will try and upload more as i get competent.
Thanks kindly for your help and advice.
Cheers
Pete

1912 rear body new construction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:06 am:

They used white oak for the tack strips around the seats, and for the top bows.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration