Pics of 16 touring floor mats

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pics of 16 touring floor mats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Interesting that the mat is cut out for a bulb horn, as are the floor boards. Do you know the original engine serial number and casting date?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:49 am:

While I too wonder about the slots and holes cut along the top edge for horn tube and speedometer cable, it appears that neither of these had any wear at all around the perimeter indicating to me that the car never had a horn tube there or a speedometer cable through the floor. The floor board right side top shows a faint light round pattern just below the speedometer hole which would indicate that the mat sat a bit low on the right and in that position the upper part of the mat hole for the speedometer would have to be curled and worn if there was in fact a speedometer cable present. I suspect this is a rather early 1916 with a prepunched 1915 era mat being "used up" as was Ford's practice all during the T era.

Compare the top edge slots and holes with the one along the bottom edge and one should note how the top edge would be warn if there was something in those hole and slot places. Did the car have a starter added with a foot switch back there or perhaps a Ruckstell shifter or something?

The floor board trim plates are most definitely 1915-1917 type with round head screws having replaced the earlier countersunk mounting screws.

Love to look at these survivor parts when there is a known car that they came from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Paul, you need to brush off that floormat, or vacuum it, and send us another photo. The Rip Van Winkle has the identical front floor mat, and it certainly didn't have a bulb horn! I wonder what the slot in the center of the top floorboard is? Perhaps a finger hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:26 am:

It's a beautiful survivor, a november 1915 built car - here's the first thread by Paul about the car: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534038.html?1429893540

I would like to see more pictures of the tires?

If the original owners claim about only 1500 miles from new to 1924 is true, then it's likely original tires from Ford on the front wheels - and they're scarce. From the looks of them the core was likely made out of natural colored rubber, then a layer of rubber mixed with carbon was added on the wear surface, but it was later worn through right down to the cord in use so the only black left is two stripes on each side?

1916 tire

Compare with the unworn front tires from the Rip Van Winkle 1917:
rip tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:29 am:

The slot for the horn and the hole for the speedometer in the floor mat continued to exist through at least the end of the 1917 model year. My roadster, the Rip Van Winkle touring and my dad's touring, May, June and July 1917 serial numbers respectively, all have their original floor mats and they are identical to what Paul Iverson posted.

The slot for the horn tube is a convenient place for routing the magneto horn wire.

Also, folks could also install aftermarket speedometers and it only makes sense to continue to have a corresponding hole in the floor mat.

The wool mat that Paul posted is something that should be reproduced. The 1917 Rip Van Winkle touring also has a wool mat in the rear passenger compartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:36 am:

thanks for all the info you guys know your stuff. I am learning a lot on this forum. the wood floor board is cut out on the left for the bulb horn tube. the original owner must have put that in and took out the mag horn the bolts are still in the firewall were mag horn was mounted. the cut out on back of rubber mat is for the muffler cut out this car never had a speedo. I will wash the tires and see what color they are and post more pics.the car is very dirty I dont plan on doing much cleaning I want to get it running and only do what I have to

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Roger the front tires are black with white tread I will post some pics.on a new thread. the floor boards the card board liner is from under rear seat and John car never had starter the notch on rear of mat is for cut out

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration