Model T Speedo - advice needed please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Speedo - advice needed please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 02:00 am:

Hi guys I have the following on my 27. The speedo was working 2 owners ago (In the USA) but following a cable failure the gears & the Cable have been removed and lost. Exactly what brand/version do I need for the wheel and are they available new or do I have to hunt for 2nd hand? Also Cable?
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:15 am:

Kevin, your speedo and drive gear are both AC brand. I don't know of any repro parts for them, so hunting out originals may be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Original drive pieces are common and cheap on eBay. You will have to make the cable from reproduction parts, the cables are impossible to find.

Here's an example of what you need (a broken one to look at, but don't buy this one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Speedometer-Drive-AC-/231403914706?hash=ite m35e0bf85d2&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Thanks Guys, so its AC brand.
I'll keep an eye open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:15 am:

While you're waiting to find your parts you can get by with a $20 bike speedometer. I have a CatEye Velo 5 on my 1923 touring, and it works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Kevin,
The speedometer on your Model T is a B Series AC speedometer. The probable reason for the initial cable failure is that the speedometer head is not in good condition. Usually, the AC speed drum frame, made of very poor pot metal, is broken or distorted, making the unit unserviceable. If you choose to spend money on AC parts, have someone take a look at your speedometer head BEFORE investing in a cable and drive.

As Royce stated, AC speedometer parts are cheap, and the reason for this is the poor quality of the speedometer head. AC cables and drive parts that are operational are much easier to find than a AC good head.

Also, I would consider changing the brand of speedometer if you choose to keep your car's speedometer "period correct". I have found the best speedometer for the 1926-27 Model T to be a Stewart Warner.

I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Thanks Russ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 02:08 am:

ee

Stewart Speedo head on '27 Coupe

ee

Drive unit without cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 03:53 am:

Thats looks tidy set up Wayne!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration