Wire Wheel Hub Puller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wire Wheel Hub Puller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:55 am:

I posted in classifieds that I was looking for one. There's one on eBay right now for $200+ (who knows where the bidding will stop). For you gents with wire wheels, how do you pull the rear hubs? Or does everyone just spend $$$$$?

Just looking for what the options are. I didn't see anything in the local car parts place that I thought would work and not be huge. I'd like to be able to throw the puller in my tool bag in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:09 am:

I use this kind of hub puller I've had since before I started with T's - they work for most any old car with a rear hub fastened on a conical axle:

hub puller
(picture from the net)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:16 am:

Yeah but that thing is HUGE. I can't put that in my tool bag. I mean I could but I'd have nothing else in there. Lol I was hoping there was a smaller option. If not, then I'll just have to live with that. Surely there's something similar to a Ford script puller or heck, maybe someone will sell me theirs for not a gozillion dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:30 am:

A trick that usually works
I have pulled rear wheel hubs without a puller.
If you can drive the car and it has all four wheels on it, Just loosen the axle nut about a turn and a half and drive the car making sharp turns. Usually this will result in the hub coming off to where it is against the new position of the nut. Do not drive too far with the nut loose. Now you can hand remove the nut and hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Willie's idea is the best one. If you've ever seen a Ford puller, it isn't as small as you think and you may have a very heavy tool bag with one inside. I've never used the wheel 'knockers' that thread onto the axle shafts. They may work, but I like Willie's idea better. The first time that I removed the rear hubs from my Grandfather's 27 coupe; I had no trouble, The taper in the hubs and on the axle shafts were worn so much, that the hubs fell off. Then, I discovered that all the E brake hardware had been removed and then I understood why the brake drum extended half way over the backing plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

you can buy a pittman arm puller for about $15-$20 and easily modify it to do the job (just a few minutes grinding)It works well and is small enough to carry in your tool box. Got the original idea from this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

George! You're a genius. If it's the one I'm thinking of you're exactly right, that will work perfectly with some minor tweaking.

I carried my wood wheel hub puller so I figure a stock wire one can't be any worse than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

George and/or Seth, got a picture or link to of the type of puller you're talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

What about a slide hammer with the wheel stud foot? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

here you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Seth, I may have an extra original wire wheel puller. 50/50 chance. Ill have to check when I get back home. It will be a little less than 1/2 of a gazillion dollars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I did what George did - found a pitman arm puller at a meet for $5.00 and used a disc grinder to open it up about 1/8" till it fit the T hub. Works just fine...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

I have since copied George. Pitman arm puller that I ground open - works like a champ and fits nicely in the tool bag.

Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration