Photo Please... 1927 Fordor Roof

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Photo Please... 1927 Fordor Roof
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Would anyone have a photograph of the roof rail or gutter rail on a 1927 Fordor? I would like to find out how the original roof is attached to the body.
I want to install my roof and sun visor and would like to see how they are attached properly. How does the roof material attach to the rear of the car originally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Dan, I don't know how they originally fastened the cobra grain but both '27 Fordors I restored looked to be fastened with 1/4" tacks. I couldn't find 1/4" tacks anywhere. I ended up using stainless steel staples in a adjustable air staple gun. It is important to be able to turn the pressure down so the staples don't penetrate the cobra grain. I also did not bring the muslin cloth down to the staples line for fear it would draw moisture. I then added PL30 Roof and Flashing sealant to the underside of the cobra grain to do two things...first was to prevent water from seeping up against the wood and secondly was to hold the cobra grain in place. (cheap insurance). It also seals the staples so that water will not get trapped under the material against the wood. Others may have a better idea and that's just fine. This is how I do all the restore jobs and have had very good success with it. The rain gutters end at the back of the rear quarter windows and hide-um is used on the front and rear. Hope this helps..you can PM me if you want some pictures but they aren't the best quality...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:51 am:

here are pic of 25 I found

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Has anyone done research with existing tops or/and original photos to determine if hid'em or fold over welting was used--or maybe either, depending on year/assembly plant?
I believe fold-over is more correct, but I could be wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

As far as attaching the wood to the body this thread should be of help >>> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/356138.html?1380406044

It can be done without removing the interior but you'll need the patience of a saint removing 3,000,000 tacks.
Also the carriage bolts that secure the top to the body are fairly well captive beneath the top rails so you have to get quite creative to do it without letting any drop out.
That's assuming you can remove the conical nuts removed.......I guess I got lucky and managed to salvage every one.
I used a medical hemostat to git 'er dun and didn't lose any bolts........ :-O
Once out they fall to the bottom inside the body and you're screwed.
The top on my '27 Tudor was original.
There is NO doubt about that as a lot of the wood was like feathers.
The perimeter welting was hidem.
It doesn't show well in the photos posted by Lorenzo but the gutters are drilled for screws about 1" in from the ends.......one at each end.
Carefully trim off the hidem folds to make the ends flat so they can be secured under the gutters by the screws and then tacked the rest of the way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration