Old Photo - Paris Island, S.C.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Paris Island, S.C.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Looks to be a 1919 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Don't need to ask what branch of the military is shown. They are squared away.

Semper Fi

Ajo Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Weapons look to be M-1917 Enfields. Could be M-1903 Springfields, but the rear sights look like Enfields to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

"Guard Mount" on the print.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey - Blue River, Oregon on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Are those straplike things on either side of the motor mount, snubbers of some kind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Erik, Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Hal, they look like m-1917 to me also. My GPaw was issued one also in the Great War. An aunt showed me some pics taken stateside. His was an Eddystone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 06:49 am:

I don't know why the government would assign all those Marines to protect just one little old Model T! Must have been some type of secret weapon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:11 am:

I remember my 90 day free vacation on a lovely island retreat, which was all inclusive. As I recall my pant size after that fun filled vacation was 30x31 hmmm pretty sure that's one leg now., look how svelte those young Marines are.. Dennis your probably right we always used an economy of resources for each mission, on the Kennedy we only needed 300 to watch over the other 3000 on board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:00 am:

No place like it on earth. The smell of the swamp intermingled with the smell and fog caused by the overhead steam pipes. The sounds coming from all directions, of the chanting recruits singing cadence during runs, the drill Instructors marching the platoons and the yelling DI's made for an unforgettable experience. I was there in platoon 1028 from November 1972 to February, 1973 and 42 years later, still remember it just like it was yesterday. My Senior Drill Instructor, SSgt. Haskell, a super Marine and my mentor, was killed in the Beirut Marine Barracks bombing in 1983. RIP Sgt. Haskell. You made a difference.

Semper Fi.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

For anyone still pulsing brain waves, any time spent in the company
of the USMC will be a life altering experience. It was the best and worst
time of my life. Would not trade it for the world. To the guys of 1/3, 3/3,
and 3/1, thanks for getting this schlurp squared away. Duty above all
else except Honor. Semper Fi :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

My thirteen week all expense paid vacation on the "lovely island retreat" was November '63 thru' February '64. They flew us down there from Midway in Chicago in an old beat up Lockheed Constellation chartered flight that I'll never forget! Patches all over the thing (inside & out) and a constant stream of oil running back over the wing from one engine! You guys described P.I. pretty well except that you didn't mention "sand fleas"! I have to agree, I wouldn't trade the Parris Island boot camp experience for anything (especially the two weeks on the rifle range) but I sure wouldn't want to do it again! "Semper Fi",.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

My thirteen week all expense paid vacation on the "lovely island retreat" was November '63 thru' February '64. They flew us down there from Midway in Chicago in an old beat up Lockheed Constellation chartered flight that I'll never forget! Patches all over the thing (inside & out) and a constant stream of oil running back over the wing from one engine! You guys described P.I. pretty well except that you didn't mention "sand fleas"! I have to agree, I wouldn't trade the Parris Island boot camp experience for anything (especially the two weeks on the rifle range) but I sure wouldn't want to do it again! "Semper Fi",.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Having been there from November to February, I only experienced the infamous sand fleas a couple of days when it was warm enough for them to swarm and just those two days was enough to cause me to thank God I chose to undergo my boot camp when I did, when it was cold. Yes, I missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Valentine's day with the family, but missing those sand fleas made it more than worth it. It's hard to believe but, we were so isolated from the outside world that I didn't find out until I was out of boot camp that, President Johnson and President Truman died while I was in boot camp. I also found out later that we walked on the moon for what turned out to be the last Apollo mission in December 1972.

To all veterans of all branches, thank you for your service on this Memorial Day.

Semper Fi.

Jim Patrick

A long time ago in another life...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

And Thank You Jim Patrick.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

Let me second that..Thank you for your service to our Country, and Semper Fi. from a proud Marine family.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration