Pre-Programmable GPS Units?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pre-Programmable GPS Units?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

So, what I'm doing now is working with Rand McNally and Mapquest online to come up with back-street routes to various destinations for my local brass car club. _It actually works out very nicely. _Mapquest allows the user to drag waypoints so as to adjust routing and Rand McNally has "bicycle" and "avoid highways" routing which works out nicely for a 35 mph car with no more than adequate brakes. _I print out the directions in large type, so a co-pilot can read me the directions as I drive.

Now, if only it were possible to pre-program such custom routing into a GPS unit for use when I'm alone and can't read and drive at the same time. _Maybe there are such units and I'm unaware of them because I'm an analog man in a digital world. _Have you folks heard of any pre-programmable GPS units?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Does your GPS have map mode? Just navigate to a location on the map (zoom in if necessary) then set that location as a waypoint. You can usually name the waypoints and add as many as you like. After they're set, select a waypoint then select route or whatever option your GPS has to navigate to the waypoint.

If you have mapping software, you can build the route and set waypoints with that then load them to the GPS. Check your manual. (RTFM) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Google earth is notorious for sending the family car out on a 4 X 4 roads in Utah. So just beware. Some software is just terrible. It is better to ask people from the area , what is this road like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

My favorite online map experience was trying to get to an auction in Nebraska. Google showed a road that didn't exist. Several cars went to a local cafe, and one of the guys there led us to the auction on roads Google didn't show. Much of their mapping is helpful, but some of it is just plain wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:00 am:

I have had three different drivers turn down an old oil well access road and get stuck axle deep in mud. The last one that got stuck drove right past a large sign I had posted that says: "DEAD END, DO NOT ENTER". Everyone one of them commented to me about how they were just following their "GPS" The local towing company driver said he wanted to go buy stock in the company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 08:03 am:

I would like some technology that would allow me to down load the route for the tour on my gps. My wife really doesn't enjoy all that reading and studying the directions, while I am enjoying the scenery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Both Google Maps and MapQuest have my location off by about 1/2 mile. The thing is that they're in opposite directions. One a half mile West and the other a half mile East.

The only problem it posses is when someone relies on the maps instead of the actual address. We had in-home care for my Mom when she broke her hip a few years ago. The nurse called on the phone and said; "Where am I?". I didn't know how to answer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:53 am:

I might add that the nurse had NO sense of direction. After asking her for some landmarks or road crossings, telling her to head West on the state road meant nothing to her. She kept asking is that left or right. I asked which direction she was heading now and she replied "straight". I had to use the Sun to give her some orientation tips. Good thing it was in the afternoon or she would never have found the place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

We have a drive service for my wife, to take her to her doctor 145 miles away, and 60 miles away. different GPS's say we live 1 1/2 miles down the road, and another say's we live 8 miles down and over a road. We live in a dead zone for cel phones, so when they get close, they always try to call us, after I tell them their phone won't work! Then after they finally pick us up, they have to do their note books before leaving, and they don't work here since we got fiber optics, they need to put a code into their things before the wifi will work, but I don't give out our code.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Bob

to answer your original question there are many gps units that will what you want. I am not familiar with all of them.

I purchased a Garmin nuvi_2597 lmt from amazon not to long ago that will do everything you want. They had a factory refurbished unit that was VERY reasonable. Nice big screen and the gps reception is so good I don't mount it on the dash, but much lower on a homemade console.

I've had the unit about 6 months and have about 30,000 miles using it - hasn't led me off a cliff yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Bob --It sounds to me as if what you are wanting to do is do-able. One of our club's members will program others' Garmins for the daily routes on our tours. I'm not that savvy with mine, so I don't know how to do that. But it can be done. The problem is, it might involve (gasp!) reading the instruction manual. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Years ago I had a delivery to Carlsbad, NM

About 15 miles from town - the GPS directed me down a graded gravel road which gradually turned into a narrow single track dirt road which eventually ended at the edge of a wash

On the other side of the wash - a few hundreds yards as the crow flies - was my drop off

The GPS had directions for a " future road "

Now I use common sense more than my (2) GPS units .... :-)

Freighter Jim ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration