O.T. Stationary engine - A Stover?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O.T. Stationary engine - A Stover?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

I have a 3 h.p. stationary engine on iron. Bought it in 1966. It matches the looks and spects of a 1914 Stover. I have a 1914 Catalog listing the Stover line with pictures. I have viewed a Stover engine off the same vintage and it is a twin of that engine. It does not have the Stover decal. I have been told that not all engines manufactured by Stover had a Stover decal. Are any of you a "Stover" person? Do you have a knowledge of these engines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

No expert, but I'm pretty sure Sear and Roebuck rebadged some Stovers under their own name. Not the Economy name, as that was Sears' name for Hercules engines. Not sure whether it said "Sears" or if there was another name they gave them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Have you checked with: http://www.smokstak.com ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I have heard that Stover engines were sold by Sears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

I do know that Stover made engines for other customers who put their own badges on them.
Here in Australia, there are lots of "Cooper" engines seen regularly at rally grounds. They were made by Stover in the USofA (and some in Buenos Aires, strangely enough).
I'd expect they had other customers as well.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Here's another source for information, parts, and decals: Hit and Miss Enterprises

http://www.hitnmiss.com/

You can send them a photo of your engine, one of the data plate and they should be able to tell you the estimated year, horsepower, proper brand if not a Stover and most likely have parts available for it. I've had good luck dealing with these folks on the occasion that I needed parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Darel, We need a picture. I have some extra Stover ID tags. But need to know for sure what model you have. Are there any rivet holes in the block for a tag.??? pictures, pictures, pictures, :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I have a 3 HP Stover, it's a 1920. It has a brass name plate on the hopper that shows the outfit that sold it in Spokane, WA but also says Stover. Any decals are long gone. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration