More 1916 pics and questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More 1916 pics and questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Here is more pics and I have some questions for you guys. What are the 2 small threaded holes on bottom of windshield frame?

Also there is a switch that was wired to brake pedal the wire seems to go to mag post no wires from switch no holes in oil tail light did they make a mag brake light?

What's best way to glue steering wheel?

White tread black tire

Side curtin

(Message edited by adminchris on May 25, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I forgot to shrink all the pics! I will try again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Windshield
Windshield

Firewall horn bolts
Firewall horn bolts

Cut out
Cut out

Brake switch?
Brake switch?

Under back seat liner
Under back seat liner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Paul, the fitment of the under hood brass horn looks a little home done. Your car has had a magneto horn fitted, and removed. The two bolts without nuts, next to the steering column show the imprint of the bracket on the firewall.

The sidelight you show is the type typically attributed to the 1915 models. It has the round "diver's bell" reflector and the brass rim. these are highly sought after.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

I still have a lot to learn about posting pics! I tried to put disc. on pics. anyway what I was trying to show is the stering wheel is unglued at the joint what is the best glue to use? the front tires are black sidewall white tread and i think white under black sidewall. to bad my dad did not keep the rears when he put new ones on in 1941! fire wall pic shows where mag horn went button on floor is muff. cut out wood bracket holds brake light switch. cardboard was under back seat sheet metal cover is rusted from mouse P. underside of floor boards are kind of crude thats the only side curtain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Allan -- I've thought that the '16 lamps were like the '15 ones except without the brass trim. I think the change to the square inner part was more or less with the 17's. I have no concrete proof of this; it's just what I think. Maybe someone else with fairly original 16's and 17's can provide more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Here are more pics of tail lite what I was trying to show is no wire or sign of stop light the front oil lights are not original to car. tail lite was covered with junk so it did not get taken when garage was broken into many years ago. One hub cap was taken and 3 valve caps maybe other side curtains also. In same garage was a 18 overland touring and the side curtains were taken from that car that was 50 years ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Mike, you could well be right. What makes the brass trimmed ones worth more is they are correct for 1915, and are needed to fuel the demand to pre-date 16 models for HCCA cars. The would obviously be a transition period. I note Paul's comment that the sidelights are not original to the car.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

No mag tail light or brake light. That would be an aftermarket improvisation.

Stock wiring would be like this, with a wire from the mag post to the mag terminal on the coil box, and wires from there to the horn and the headlights. The lights are wired in series, like old time Christmas tree lights. If one goes, they both go. The horn to switch wire looks like it's going to the coil box, but it's actually going past the box and through the firewall to the horn button on the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:03 am:

It's easy to tell your car has almost no miles on it. That cardboard liner under the rear seat would have been destroyed if the car had many more miles on it. I also find the bulb horn interesting. As I recall, the horn itself is not a Ford horn, but the tubing looks like it might be. You have a very historically significant car.
Keep looking for another light switch. I've seen them at swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Additionally, is the mag horn still with the car? The impression in the wooden firewall indicates it had one, AND, the bolts are still there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

The two tapped holes in the windshield / dash piece appear to have once been to hold a plaque or name plate. Likely a dealer's name, this was a common place for them to be installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

That makes sense Royce about holes. Larrey I put up a post about getting the correct lite switch from Mike Walker thank you Mike! This car had a brake lite once the wire from switch seems to go to mag post. Steve is right it must have been after market can any body guess why a pad on only clutch pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

I found out the hood just lifts off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Your headlight switch is the type that is pull off / push on.

The wiring on the dash appears to be totally original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Paul -- As Larry Smith said, your car is a historically significant one since it is so original. You are wise to seek out original parts to replace those which are missing, such as the light switch. As your doctor will tell you, the most important thing is to "do no harm."

You're doing the right thing by coming here to ask for advice. If you can find a knowledgeable Model T guy near you who knows about brass cars and is sympathetic to the preservation of an original car, that would help as well. But many Model T guys do not fit that description, so be sure to listen to the right ones. :-)

Most Model T's were altered a lot during their lifetime of service, just to keep them alive. Your car has most of its original parts, so it's a rarity. It appears to have the original-type bakelite ignition switch. Most of those have been replaced over the years. That's the kind of thing which makes your car special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

What Mike W and Larry S said. Your car is a very special and historically significant car as is. Yes, I think it should be cleaned up (it is not after all Ford factory dirt and grime), and worked on just enough to make it drivable and reasonably safe. It should then be seen, enjoyed and studied for many years to come. It truly is a car to be proud of.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Paul -- There is a very active Model T club in Rockford, which is not far from you. Here is some contact info:

ROCKFORD
Sheryl Stier
9804 Lakewood Dr.
Huntley, IL 60142
(847) 669-3848

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration