Another tire pump question: Ford this time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another tire pump question: Ford this time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

With the Brand X double pump apparently missing a necessary part, I'll try a single-tube Ford pump for now. But it too seems to be missing something. That would be a check valve, which I assume would go in the hole under the brass air outlet.

I hope somebody who has one of these can tell whether I'm right about a check valve going in the little hole, and if so it would be nice to see what it looks like before I make one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:07 am:

All you need is a small ball bearing. Look in your bike stash,that's what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:54 am:

I suspected that might be the case. I'll check the bike shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Steve, out of curiosity I checked my Ford pumps for the ball. Out of a dozen that I have, not one with the outlet piece like yours has the ball in the base. The only working pump that I have has the ball in the brass threaded piece as seen in the picture. I'm not sure that this is original to the pump. It will let air out but not back in. If you put a ball in the pump base below the threaded piece I think that it would block the air going out of the pump on the pressure stroke. I'm starting to wonder if the stock Ford pump had the ball in the end that threads onto the valve stem. Maybe someone else can check theirs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

If for some reason the ball doesn't work, you can add an external check valve that the vendors sell (not cheap):

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2338CV.aspx

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Here's a report on progress made and needed. This morning I stopped at the bike shop and got a ball bearing. The 1/4" size was just a little too big to go in, so I got the only other one they had. I believe it's 7/32". It fits in the hole, but doesn't completely block the passage. Back lit with a strong light, you can see a little space with the light shining through. By my measurement, it seems the right size ball would be about .240".

The idea of having a ball inside the brass outlet is a no-go here. The passage goes straight through, with no seat for a ball to seal and nothing to keep the ball from blowing out into the hose. It would have to be a mighty tiny ball to fit, too.

I decided to put together what I had and give it a try. I made and installed a new leather, put the ball in the hole, and screwed on the outlet. That too was a no-go. Each downstroke blew the ball up against the outlet and sealed it so no air could get to the hose. So I made a little wire spacer to prevent that and let the air get past the ball.

That worked, but only for a low-pressure application like blowing up a tube. When I hooked up the hose to an actual tire, the high pressure blew through that little gap by the ball and raised the pump handle up as high as it would go. So that's where things stand now. Until this pump has a check valve that will check, it's not going to work for tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Instead of a coil of wire try a small spring. That way the spring will help push the ball to the seat on the up stroke but weak enough to be overcome by the rushing air on the down stroke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Yes, a spring might be better. But I didn't want to waste my time on a drive to town for a futile search at our feckless excuse for a hardware store. In this case I doubt that it matters. The ball is just a bit too small to fully cover the opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:43 am:

I don't know what kind of pressure they will take but in the past I raised tropical fish and had piston/cylinder air pumps for the tanks. They made in line check valves for the lines going to the tanks. They worked well for that but. . .there wasn't that great reverse pressure on the intake stroke either.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:45 am:

How rare are Ford tire pumps? This is the only thing I don't have in the way of factory tools for my car, and I have maybe only seen one other here in New Zealand. Do they come up on ebay often? Expensive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Nevin, the single barrel tire pumps are not all that rare. It seems that nice ones sell on Ebay for around $65 to $75. Whether they work or not is the question. As I mentioned above, I went through about a dozen that I have an none of them have a check valve in them that works. In fact, they don't have a check valve at all. The only working one that I have is one that I bought from my dad when I was a kid and was hot into collecting anything that said "Ford" on it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration