Strange Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Strange Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:33 am:

Awhile back a friend gave me several boxes of T Parts. The bottom of one of the boxes had a lot of different bolts and nuts. I recognized all the Bolts except the ones in the picture below. When I first saw them I thought they were the 5/16" bolts that tie the rear axle housings together. But after I got a closer look I saw that the heads were round with TWO FLATS. The flats take a 7/16" inch wrench. The shaft is 1&1/8 long by 5/16" and fine threads. Anybody got any ides of what these bolts are used for?
bolts #1
bolts #2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 12:48 am:

I would say these are for show and can be used just like a regular hex head bolt, but unlike standard hex head bolts, which allow for 4 different angles for the wrench to be positioned, these must be used in easy to reach locations as there is only one wrench angle to utilize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:13 am:

New style of adjustable lifter with one missing? (place smiley face here) Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:37 am:

Rod Bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 06:11 am:

You're a lucky guy. Now you can get all kinds of projects done as you now have enough "round tuits". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 06:43 am:

Would they be the correct size to hold the rear end halves together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 06:45 am:

Well dummy me...I re-read and see you all ready mentioned that! Back to the coffee pot for seconds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:22 am:

I was thinking of rod bolts too, but they're not drilled for cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Unfinished hex head bolts. Simple as that. Probably got thrown in the finished pile by mistake. MHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Dennis Seth: I don't think the threads are long enough. The only go back 1/2". They are certainly nice bolts they are all mint and have a thick head like so many of the early car bolts had. I certainly will keep them and use them some where.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Rod bolts. They use the self-locking nuts, no cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Fred Miller & Ed in California, Rod bolts are 3/8" these unknowns are 5/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:32 am:

Wouldn't be T rod bolts anyway, the head would more than likely hit the cam shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 03:22 am:

I have seen those somewhere, but can't place it--maybe a Model A part (differential ring gear??--but I think those are drilled)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

David Dewey: If they are model A bolts then I am lost. There were several boxes and every other thing was T, including special T bolts.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 12:24 am:

DAve,
It's just a guess by me. What haunts me is that I've seen these SOMEWHERE. . . . .
As I said, I think the A ones are drilled for safety wire, so these aren't likely the A ones.
The design indicates they go into a hole with a ledge close to it (that the flat part fits against).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Are these maybe Studebaker vibration damper bolts? They sure look familiar. D.S. in Bellingham, Wa

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration