Heavy Felt Inner Axle Seals continued

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Heavy Felt Inner Axle Seals continued
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Just opened up the rear axle which I helped to rebuild in the late 70's. There are no thick felt seals inside, only the accessory spring-like spirals which, although there was only minor grease leakage found, I feel are probably about as effective as screen doors on a submarine.

The thick felt seals were discussed earlier on this thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/472569.html?1408657702.

I am going to install neoprene seals, but was wondering if the thick felt seals in addition might be an added security measure against leaks. I don't understand where they are supposed to be located. Are they to be placed anywhere in the area marked in yellow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 02:29 am:

Here's a pic showing the spiral on the axle for those who may not have had the pleasure...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Eric, I asked someone a while back about that very question, can't remember who, but his response was not to do it, he said he didn't think there'd be enough room. I feel there is, but with the neoprene, there's just no need for it. They work well. Then use the modern outer seal, and you should be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:21 am:

They go in right in front of the roller bearings. Be sure to include the steel washer on the bearing side or the felt seal will be turned into dryer lint.

(Message edited by ccwken on May 23, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:42 am:

There's plenty of room for the felt washers. They go on the axle shaft between the inner and outer bearings in place of the "screen door" coil spring. Putting together the rear axle for my roadster, I engaged in a bit of overkill and used three felts per side plus the neoprene seals next to the outer bearings. The only difficulty with the felts is getting them in past the end of the tube and the rivets. I drove them in with a piece of conduit, but it wasn't easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:26 am:

ya try putting them on while the axle is still under the car! :-) I work grease into the felt before installing.
After all is done, do not over grease the outer roller bearing. Too much grease and it will force it's way out the outer seal. If the seals at both ends of that bearing are good there is no place for the grease to go. Ford didn't have the inner seals till the improved model came out so the greasing scheduled for cars was for cars up to that point that didn't have them. The cars with no inner seal needed to be greased more often as the grease could/would work out of the bearing in to the axle housing and the thinner (LOL) lube for the differential could work it's way out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:00 am:

I found the outer bearings were old Hyatts and the inners were the replacement style without spirals. They are all worn so I am contemplating modern bearings which will take care of my bearing needs and the sealing problem all in one shot.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler in Branson, Mo. USA. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Eric,
By chance, do you know who has my old 1914 Roadster or my 1911 tourabout?
Another member sold them to a fella in Spain from the USA.
I built them in the late 70's.
I don't know if you all have tours thru your country or not, but, I would like to know they are still being taken care of.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:24 am:

Hi Joseph. I have not seen these cars. There are not many T's out and about in Spain. The general concensus is that they are too slow. :-(

I'll keep an eye out and report back if anything comes up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration