Remember Those Who Have Fallen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Remember Those Who Have Fallen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Please take time to remember those who gave all to help us keep our freedom this weekend.

Remember why it is called Memorial Day!

God Bless the men and women of our military

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

Remember Those Who Have Fallen

Need to use a back slash instead of a forward slash.... Thought is still good, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Yes, it is the message that is important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Well said, Dennis. And don't forget to fly your flag Monday at half staff until noon. I'm about the only one around it seems that remembers that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Tim, half staff until noon, full staff the rest of the day. (1) I remember as well, and (2) thank you for "half staff" instead of "half mast" (unless you are at sea).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Everyone, should visit the American cemetery in Normandy, France, just in from Omaha Beach, at least once in their life to fully appreciate the sacrifice of those that gave the full measure on D-Day to free Europe from the yoke of Nazi tyranny and terror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:22 am:

Sobering pictures Jim. I've never been there, but have seen the photos many times. They still awe me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Jim Thanks for posting that beautiful photo as a grim reminder of what freedom costs.

What is the count of the soldiers buried there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Dennis, in answer to your question, check out this link.

http://www.deathcare.com/2009/american-soldiers-buried-overseas-wwii.html

God Bless America and those who died for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

If my memory serves me right, Memorial day was originally called Decoration day,

Did you know that this holiday was originally started by some Southern Civil War Widows in Marietta, GA ? While it is true that Marietta GA does have a National Cemetery, Marietta is also the home of the Southern Civil War Veterans Cemetery. FWIIW.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The Soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, Soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'no, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep.
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you Soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

~Author Unknown~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Dick, one of my favorite photos of all time, that kid makes me proud and tear up all in one photo.
Eugene, great poem as well. Here is my 2 cents in a very simple dedication to undoubtedly "The greatest generation". Thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice, we will never ever forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfe4TxvUOiw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 12:07 am:

It's the Soldier,
not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It's the Soldier,
not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier,
not the politicians that ensures
Our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It's the Soldier
who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Jim, thanks too for that sobering picture of Normandy. Dennis, you are right, a grim reminder. We need more people to pause a moment and remember those who gave the ultimate so we can enjoy our lives as we know it today.
And, to clarify my earlier post, regarding remembering to fly the flag half-staff, I was referring to my neighborhood, not the forum folks! Sometimes it's hard to get the exact intention from rapid clicking on the keyboard!
Dick- I used to be a sailboater, so frankly it's a wonder I didn't accidentally use the wrong term! My flag's at half-staff as I type! Until noon as always on this day.
Glod Bless all, and God Bless America! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:42 am:

From our home to all veterans and those who gave us the right to remember this day.

THANKS, These flags fly every military appreciation day. We are four generations of service.Our Home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:27 am:

PFC Joe C. Regan - my dad.

I grew up with dad's picture on the wall. I have no memory of the sound of his voice and it was not recorded anywhere. He was in NY and was shipping over and I got a "1st birthday" card from him from there. My birthday was September 8th, 1943 and he was MIA by October 17, 1944 a month after my 1st birthday. He was deployed in the Hurtgen Forrest where more than 30,000 of our men died. It is never talked about since only great victories make the news reels. We lost twice as many of our men in the Hurtgen Forrest than during the battle of the bulge but the Hurtgen Forrest was a "dark and bloody ground" and a military fiasco that the military doesn't like to talk about. For a year my mom lived first with hope and then dispair. He was officially declared KIA on October 18, 1945 but was not found until 1946. He was then interred at Liege Belgium along with another soldier in a common grave. In 1949 the remains were removed and separated and in 1951 they both were sent home. My mom had finally gotten her life back together and remarried when the telegram came that he was found and was being returned home. All the old wounds reopened but she dealt with it. My step dad was a good man and a veteran Marine from WW2 as well but I would give up every Model T I own for just one hug from my dad. I find that as I get older I get more sentimental about what a great life he and I might have had. They say he could fix anything and was the Farm Store Manager for Sears Roebuck in Springfield, IL when he was drafted. I sure would love to have given him a T ride today.

Please remember the families of the soldiers too since they had to carry their cross for a lot of years after the hostilities ended.

Don't mean to bring anybody down but I hate Memorial Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:51 am:

John, I first found out about the battle of the Hurtgen forest when I happened to rent a movie called "When Trumpets Fade", which was made in 1998. A very dark movie that accurately depicts the futility and horror of that battle. While it does a good job of depicting the American GI and their fast and furious encounters with the enemy, I would not recommend it to one who lost somebody there. The Battle of the Hurtgen Forest was the longest Battle of the European Theater lasting from September 19, 1944 to December 16, 1944, which was when the Battle of the Bulge began and the Americans had to be re-deployed to face that threat.

My sympathy goes out to you. I still have my Dad who is 89 and can't imagine what you have endured all your life in wondering what could have been, if only...

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:51 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9Si28k0Fk

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration