Coils General Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coils General Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Hi

Just a quick questions, I have a 22 runabout only owned for a short time in the UK, is fitted with a 12v battery, but runs fine on MAG.

Sometime when I out the ignition on all th coils buzz, and sometimes hey do not is this normal or do I have a problem, or pending problem. Sorry if thisis a simple question, just learning my way around

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Hi again, apologies for my poor grammar will try again!

Just a quick questions, I have a 22 runabout only owned for a short time in the UK, is fitted with a 12v battery, but runs fine on MAG.

Sometime when I put the ignition on all the coils buzz, and sometimes they do not is this normal or do I have a problem, or pending problem. Sorry if this is a simple question, just learning my way .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

ALL coils buzzing together is a problem that needs fixing. One coil buzzing (any one) is normal, and is likely to happen about 50% of the time because the timer is half contact and half insulation. (This isn't quite true, because the compression of the cylinders makes it more likely that and an engine will stop in one position than another).
And if the engine's warm, and the timer is in contact, that's when you may get a 'free' start - the engine just fires and runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

TT,
Are you sure all four coils are buzzing at the same time? It's more likely to be one at a time, particularly since it runs fine n both battery and magneto. Try checking in the dark at night or in a closed garage. Take the cover off the coil box. You should be able to see the blue arc at the points of each coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I'd check the connectors of the wires on the timer to be sure they aren't coming into any contact with the block. Found out the hard way that makes more than one coil buzz at the same time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

The timer makes 4 contacts for one turn of the camshaft. Each contact will be made when the corresponding cylinder is at top dead center. The camshaft turns once for each two turns of the crankshaft. So that means one coil will buzz when the crankshaft is in a position when one of the pistons is at top dead center. To check this turn the crank VERY slowly with the key on battery. Be sure the spark lever is all the way up in the retarded position Be careful to pull up on the crank not to push down. You will find as the piston is going up it will become a little harder to turn the crank as the compression builds up. You will find two places where a coil buzzes for each turn of the crankshaft. They will buzz in this order 1 2 4 3. So depending on the position of the crankshaft the coils will buzz. If all 4 coils buzz at the same time, all the wires are grounded. Or if any 2 or more buzz at the same time you have one or more wires grounded.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration