Best Paint for Gas Tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best Paint for Gas Tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

I pulled out the gas tank out of my 1927 Tudor today and plan to repaint it. A number of different options crossed my mind - powdercoat, gasoline-proof marine paint, POR-15 - but I wanted to hear from those of you who have done this before and had success with the paint that you chose. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

por 15 I did mine a few weeks ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

POR15 is amazing stuff, just make sure you read the warning label on it like i neglected to do....I got covered in it while painting the frame of my truck, and like the directions say, absolutely nothing will take it off you except for one product, which i think they conveniently sell. I let mine wear off the old fashioned way, i think it took like 3 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

It will not come off for weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Ed, that's hilarious!..The best part about my introduction with this product was that i had a wedding to attend the very next weekend, lets just say the wife was not amused. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Here is a picture of the inside of a 1926-27 cowl tank that somebody cut open for our convenience...

I coated the interior of the tank on my 1926 coupe in 2010, by pouring in an entire quart of silver POR 15 and sloshing it all around for several minutes until I was sure all surfaces were coated, and it is just a bright and shiny now as it was 5 years ago. The silver is much better than black because it reflects much better allowing you to see inside the tank for inspection purposes. After coating, I removed the brass plug I purchased from Home Depot for sealing the outlet and let all the POR 15 run back into the can for future use. I ended up with 3/4 of a quart that I was able to use on other projects. After you are done, be sure you wipe off the threads on the inlet as well as the outlet so you can screw on your gas cap and screw on your sediment valve. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Por15 makes the best but a decent 2nd is engine paint inrattle can

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:31 am:

satin or semi-gloss black rattle can engine paint.
I did mine in '97, it still looks great.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration