Drive Shaft Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drive Shaft Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:15 am:

I'm installing my rebuilt rear end, but the drive shaft is bit heavy for me to hold up and maneuver into position while I'm lying underneath. Any suggestions?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:40 am:

I use a floor jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I roll the pumpkin in on a floor jack and support the driveshaft on length of rope wrapped between the two frame rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I used a jack stand to support the drive shaft with a floor jack under the differential. You can pull from the u-joint end without having to hold the full weight of the drive shaft. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Phil ; I use this [wagon]
1086R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Slight drift but very important - here is a good thread regarding safely aligning the universal joint:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/198191.html?1300480114

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Anthonie, that jack is ingenious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Borrow one of the grandkids' skateboards, put the pumpkin on it, and roll it right up to the u-joint housing. If you have one of the special Ford or Stevens u-joint holding tools, the skateboard makes it a one-man job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

It's easy to push the drive shaft into place. The hard part is lining up the square spline on the front end of the universal joint. I like to tie up the front of the drive shaft with a rope and then take a string and tie up the front of the U joint spline trying to get it even with the hole in the transmission. I also pack as much grease into the ball is I can get, which will help to hold the U joint in place. I push as close as possible without bending the u joint. Then crank the engine to the point where the spline is even with the hole and it usually pops right in. Then try to remove the string It doesn't matter if part of the string remains inside. It will soon be ground up anyway.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Thanks for those tips. I got it installed today using my Harbor Freight transmission jack on the differential, a ratchet strap under the drive shaft plus a jack stand under the ball end. I used the alignment wrench I bought while my friend pushed on the axle.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Anthonie, Do you have the correct left and right hand threaded bearings on the front wheels of the cart? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration