Kind of, sort of, crank seal leak, but not dripping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kind of, sort of, crank seal leak, but not dripping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

The front felt seal on our 27 starting leaking on a 100 mile trip. It is not drippy wet, just wet enough to make a mess on the front of the cam shaft cover.
I have looked at the supplier catalogs and find modern or supposedly better than felt seals, but don't see one that does not require disassembling the bottom pan to get to the crank.
Does anyone have a fix for this leak that can be done, maybe by just removing the lower pulley? Maybe something that goes between the back side of the pulley the front of the engine? I really don't think there is a main bearing issue, just a leaking seal. We did this engine complete rebuild about 2 years ago.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Remove the pulley and clean the block and pan around the crank shaft . Use a modern seal and put it on backwards with some silicon sealer and glue it in place. I know of a number of cars that this has fixed the leak. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Hi Tom,

I have had to deal with the same issue and did not want to pull the engine and loose some of the touring season.

This only a band-aid, shade tree, not factory approved fix, but it does greatly slow the leak. Remove the pulley, acquire a rear axle felt PN 2510B, place the felt onto the crankshaft (it's a tight fit), replace the pulley which compresses the felt against the front of the engine. This will last for a good while. I has held up well for me.

Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Tom ; I do the same as Mike explain
Toon
1392R
1393R
1394R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks guys. I think I will try the backwards modern seal Mike suggests. I guess I can try several different things. It's got to be better than the alternative!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration