Hand break adjustments

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hand break adjustments
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

I have replaced the quadrant and the prong, with a little oil it is working and holding like a charm.
Now I need to adjust the brakes and clutch. What do I need to adjust first?
When the hand brake is all the way forward, will the break rods have a bend in them?
Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

This is for a '27 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Here is a recent thread with some ideas:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/542060.html?1431902071

The brake rods shouldn't have to bend for you to be able to push the lever forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Put the rear axle up on stands so that the wheels will turn by hand. Start with the brake lever all the way forward and then adjust the brake levers to there the clevis pins go in without pushing the rods back. The rods should just fit without bending. Next check that both wheels stop at the same time when the lever is pulled back. Pull it to where they just begin to drag, then one notch farther and check again. Keep pulling one notch at a time until they both stop equally at the same point. If they are not even, tighten the one which does not lock up when the other does. Turn one half turn and test until you have them equal. Next put the lever forward between brake and high. The bolt on the transmission clutch lever should be up on the cam and the wheels should turn easily without turning the engine. For this adjustment you will have an easier time if you lower the back wheels to the ground. This neutral adjustment is good when you can crank the engine without moving the car or when you can push the car without turning the engine.

Lastly, adjust the link between low and clutch by following the example in the posted diagram.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Hello gentlemen,
The Hand brake is adjusted and the clutch.
I want to thank you for all your help on this of many little projects.
FYI My issue was self-inflected. I had it in my mind that the hand brake had to adjust starting from the first click. The fully relaxed position ends in the 3rd click. When the handle is straight up, the clutch is engaged and the wheels resistance is very low. 5 or 6 more clicks and the hand brake is fully engaged, tires are really locked up.
Before you start the response, I only let the prong click while counting for adjustment. I have been advised many times too fully compress the handle and put the hand brake in position then relax to lock the handle in place.
This forum is very active, knowledgeable, very accommodating, with the humor that just cracks me up.
Thank you again

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration