Engine casting date

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine casting date
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Petithomme on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Is there a list or file on casting dates? My "T" is a 1914 but the engine is later. The best I can see, the casting date is cast in a circle by the water outlet and it looks like 18 TOR 27 or maybe 21. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Throw a photo on here - maybe someone can determine what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:32 am:

The car could've been re-powered some time ago. Certainly not unusual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Petithomme on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Thanks for the response. Wish I could send a photo but I cant get in close enough to the area for a photo. The numbers and letters are cast in a circle and the best I can tell they look like "18 TOR 27" or maybe "21" The serial is correct for 1914 but probably stamped on a later year block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Probably the most important question is whether the block had the facility to mount a generator on the front right side? (It could have either a bolt-on non-generator cover or the generator mount itself.) The earlier (1909 through 1918) blocks were a solid casting around the back of the timing gear.
Ford did put the casting date in an odd circle arrangement for several years, I think starting about 1918 (I could be wrong on that exact year). So likely your engine is not a genuine original '14. The location changed a few times, but everything (engine blocks) from about 1912 through at least part of 1918 had the casting date in a straight line standard MM/DD/YY pattern. Usually it was somewhere near the radiator inlet mounting.
It was very common back in the day for Ford to supply replacement blocks without a serial number. The car's original number would then be stamped by the dealer or mechanic (or in some states a sheriff or justice of the peace) onto the replacement block.
Ford USA stopped putting casting dates on blocks about 1923. Ford of Canada continued with the casting date in that odd circle much later.

How correct the engine is does matter for a few people and some clubs especially with brass Ts. But mostly, it is not a big deal (and actually quite common) if a T has a later engine.

Any chance you will be going to the Auburn swap meet next Sunday?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Bob

Here is pic of the circle date casting, began about 1918 or so.

Many times hard to read as the sand casting got into the numerals and didn't fill out in the iron.

This is an early block with date in line casting. One other way easy is the boss for the serial number, the early blocks had a shorter boss (numbers weren't expected to go so high and be long length) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Petithomme on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Thanks all for all the information you have contributed to help me identify my engine year of manufacture. With a little more time sorting out just what the casting numbers are I hope to be able to identify the engine year of manufacture.
Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration