Front Seat Heel Panel Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Seat Heel Panel Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

1923 Touring:
I am in the process of rewooding. As I work from front to rear, trying to locate everything, using Leon's plans, I am fitting the sheet metal to the pillars before I fasten anything down. Fitting the front seat heel panel it seems to fit to the rear surface of the of the front seat, front pillar.
IS THIS CORRECT?
Thank you--Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

No,it goes forward of the pillars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Here's how it worked on my '24 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Thank you everyone, BUT remember I am doing a 1923 Touring and everything I do and the measurements I take indicate it fits to the rear surface of the front seat rear pillar.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

I have a 25 and it goes to the front of the pillar NOT the rear. Yours will do the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

It still goes in front of the pillars. Far as I know it has since about 13-25.Doesn't matter if it's a touring or a roadster. Recheck your measurements,sometimes they are confusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

The heel panel is bolted to a bracket that is attached to the inside facing surface of the pillar that faces the gas tank. The heel panel is attached before any other sheet metal is applied to the car. The heel panel is more to the forward facing surface of the pillar than the rear. If you want. I can go photograph mine. 25, 23. Makes no difference they are exactly the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

William is correct. There is a metal angle iron bracket that is contoured to the inside surface of the seat pillar. The bracket is bolted to the pillar with two carriage bolts and the heal panel is bolted to the angle bracket. The heal panel is flush with the seat pillars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

should read heel panel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Paul, make sure you have the door pillars in the right location and that doors fit OK before buttoning things down permanently! Once you cover up the framework and then try to fit the doors you may be in for a big surprise you wont like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

I better go back and look some more. I have not received the rear door (metal} pillars from the local guy so I have not been able to put them in place for those measurements. But the spacing for the left front door seems accurate. When I positioned the front seat rear panel it lines up exactly with the front seat rear pillar. Maybe the front seat riser, that goes from the top of front seat heel panel to the bottom of the bottom of the front seat rear panel is to long. Anyone, how long should it be? I will also measure that distance. I will also go back and see long that angle wood bracket shown on Leon's drawing should be. Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

I measured the angle brackets that hold the front seat bottom on each side. They appear to be hand made. But from front to back they measure 17 5/8".
With the heel panel located to the front of the front seat front pillar and the seat back sheet metal located and clamped to the front seat rear pillar this bracket seems short. In the morning, I will make and position the wood piece that goes adjacent to the seat bottom angle. Then I can make a new bracket that holds the front seat bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Just remember that if I recall since mine is now covered the front seat toe board which makes up the rear of the front seat box does not attach to the pillar that the front seat rear panel attaches to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Give me a little bit and I'll photograph it. I'm at sonic right now having a sundae

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

The seat bottom support brackets should be 18 inches. That's what mine are and they are original to the car. They are attached to the front heel panel with replacement rivets...

The rear front seat panel sits on top of the rear toe panel and is riveted to it. A 1 to 1.5 inch square nailing strip is also attached here to nail the upholstery to. You also need a upholstery stringer behind the bottom brackets and possibly a strip of wood stove bolted to the sides of them, but I did not.

support

nail

heel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Very helpful. I will get back to it in the AM. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Thank you everyone. I was (as usual) over thinking this problem. I found a clear photo and also looked at a Touring @ Bill Bender' shop in Burien WA last evening and now I can properly position the front seat heel pan and proceed to the rear doors. I purchased the steel pillars for the rear doors and the steel fender and top iron braces from Bill. He has lots of parts if anyone is interested. NFI.
Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration