GPS speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: GPS speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I found a neat free GPS speedometer app on my I phone. I would like to use it, but I find anything GPS really eats up the battery quick. I checked with Verizon, my provider, and plugging the charger into a 6 volt outlet will only not charge as fast as a 12 volt, so it is okay to plug into 6 volts.
I would like to see how others have mounted the cigar lighter and mounted their phones a speedometer please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I disagree with Verizons theory.An I phone only uses about 3 volts and that is what the charger reduces it to whether you are plugged into a 6 volt battery or a 36 volt battery. I mounted a cigarette lighter under the dash on mine and it works great, runs on GPS and uses no battery life at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:21 am:

Thanks for the tip Doug just downloaded a similar one for my Samsung, look forward to trying it out tomorrow and see how accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:03 am:

Doug ; here some pictures of the contact for the Navi. It is not a cigar lighter contact.
2116R
2117R
2118R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Test run the App on my cell tonight and very impressed. It showed speed, compass, Altitude, Distance traveled, trip time taken, Average speed & max speed...and it was free!
Great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Hey Doug - I'm a big fan of using a bicycle speedometer. It's very small and unobtrusive and easy to install and remove. Even less so than hooking up wiring for a phone charger. The other benefits are that it's CHEAP ($20 or less at Walmart) and has features like an odometer and trip meter. I have compared mine to a GPS speedo and it's dead-on accurate.

I would definitely recommend one that is back-lit so if you end up driving and it gets dark out. I'm about to swap mine out for that exact reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:38 am:

I've been using a bike speedometer zip-tied to the horn button on my touring. About $20 at the local bike shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:54 am:

So, how does one install a bicycle speedometer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Bob : Here two pictures how you can do it
Toon
762R
766R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:25 am:

Here's how I mounted the sensor. This is much too complicated. Anthonie's method is better, and Dan Treace's is better than his. Maybe Dan will post a picture of his elegant arrangement. It has just one small home made sensor bracket held on by the spindle arm nut. The black tape holding my magnet is inconspicuous, but with varnished spokes you'd want the magnet mounted on one of the hub bolts. I did find that the cable wasn't long enough, so spliced in some speaker wire. That works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:01 am:

I don't have a speedometer, but the local sheriff was kind enough to place one of those radar speed displays on one of the local roads that I frequent in my T. According to it, my T toodles along comfortably at 30 mph.

Whatever roads I travel on, I can be pretty sure that I'm not speeding! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I have a bike speedometer on my car now, but it is 10% slow. I have recently put one on my wife's bike, and the one I had on my bike crapped out so I had to replace it. Neither one I bought would accommodate the T's tire size either.
I used the back tire and mounted the sender on a bent piece of strap, hose clamped to the radius rod. I screwed a magnet to one of the spokes.
I found a cell phone holder / charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter at Menards for $10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Have tried a couple of bike speedos. Found that it was accurate but it would sometimes reset to default settings. I thought it might be interference from the ignition noise. Tried a grounded shielded cable but it was no better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I tried the bike speedometer once and mine would not work due to ignition 'noise'. I also had to splice the wire, so no chance of taking it back. I didn't like the looks of it anyway, so the heck with it. On the few occasions I care how fast I'm going, I either use a handheld GPS or else an App on my cell phone. For just driving, I don't much care. For doing some of the performance experiments I've done, I used my handheld GPS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Doug........your bicycle speedometer should be programmable for the circumference of the tire.
I think the Planet Protoge I have can be programmed up to 2184 mm (about 86") circumference.
I paid $29 for mine in 2011.

display

pickup

I had to splice the wire between the pickup and display but it works perfectly and is unaffected by the ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Doug - FWIW, here's a thread from last year regarding a GPS driven wireless Garmin I installed. It was about $150 at the time I bought it, but I'm very happy with it. Solved all my needs, with no wires.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/470861.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

For those of you that carry a cell this is so much easier, its free, no installation and look at all the info it gives you. I'm very impressed.
Several font color options, metric/imperial switch over. You can also change it to "Hud" which means its a mirror image, I tried mine on a cushion near the back window of my coupe and then I could view it in the rear view mirror. The photo does not show it as clear as it is

(Message edited by Rata Road on May 26, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Or;
http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR2-GPS-04/1/GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-40mph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:12 am:

The bike speedometers I have purchased recently (and they were for bicycles, not T's) have only been able to set the calibration speed by tire size, not by circumference of the wheel. In the past ones I have had could be infinitely set by circumference.
Fooling around with the I phone, I like it better. I have not had time to stop and pick up a power outlet, much less figure out where I will put it, but I did find a phone holder that plugs into a power outlet with a phone charge for $10 at Menards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I second the move to a bike speedometer. Mine is 3 years old, still on the same battery and is absolutely trouble free. Its calibrated to match a GPS unit exactly.

If you have ignition problems (I didn't), simply extend the cable from sensor to readout with shielded cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Gary H. White. I really like that gauge. When I went to Speedhut's website, I saw they even had one with a trip odometer. Very nice, indeed. I'm gonna phone those folks and see whether they have some kind of mounting gear, else, I'll have to cobble up something, myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:55 am:

How do you get power into the USB connection the iPhone needs? Is there a fandango of some sort that has a hot lead & a ground wire that will power the USB port? If so, it could be run to a hot spot on the firewall terminal block.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Paul - You don't need a USB port to power your iPhone. A standard auto power outlet (like a cigarette lighter) will work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

or a power plug with USB outlets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

BOUGHT at Menards for $10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

failed to mention the charger is built in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

That's funny, I have one just like Kirk showed in his picture sitting literally at my elbow as I tap this out! It came with an MP3 player and I had never even unwrapped it. Now I have a good use for it.

How about the cigar lighter portion? Will one bought from Amazon or eBay work? Are they color coded so I don't get the polarity switched or does that even matter?

I'm OK doing wiring on my Flivver but not really an electrical sort. My pal who retired out of Edison tells me that the Model T electrical system is so "noisy" that the iPhone will be harmed without a "filtering package" ahead of any charger or converter.

My pal is one of those know-it-alls with an opinion on every matter under the sun. I have to be careful about dismissing his pronouncements, however. Every once in a while he is actually right about something . . .

Anyone have any trouble running an iPhone on the straight Model T electrical system?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Paul
I have a small 12V MC battery under the driver's seat of my 24 coupe. I charge it off the mag or you can charge the battery occasionally. I got the female "cigar lighter" from Amazon. I run the turn signals off that battery too. Or if the mag aint putting out enough, I fire the coils also til the next engine removal.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

I just ordered a female unit from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZJBELQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

It has a red and a black wire. Which should be hot for the iPhone?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Paul

The standard convention in electronics is that red is always positive and black negative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Yes, that is good to know. I have several positive ground cars and always check before hooking anything up. If the iPhone is good with 6v Model T electrics with red to positive we're good to go.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:29 am:

Today I drove 330 K's (205 miles) and the GPS distance was about 1 mile difference to my cars odometer! thats impressive.
Actual speed as I drove along was same as car speedo up to approx 80k's (50 mph) and no more than 1 Kph difference at open highway.
If your looking for accurate speed readout, distance traveled its perfect. Plus all the other data like direction, travel time etc. The altitude readout was interesting also as we ranged from sea level to 1500 ft.
No cost, no maintenance & no installation....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Kevin - You note that there's no installation or cost. Are you simply running your phone on it's own battery? If so, how long will your phone's battery last before it will need recharging, running the speedometer app?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Good point Dave as I wasnt in my T. I actually have an old 7" Android tablet which is really easy to read without glasses so I used that yesterday and it lasted about an hour before beeping for a top up. The other reason I'm not sure what happens if you get a txt or call yet, does it reset the distance traveled etc? The tablet cant be interrupted. I guess the smaller screen cell phone would last a lot longer but people often go to a lot of trouble to work out how to modify their 6v system when from what I've been reading cell phones & even GPS charge fine on 6v as they are reduced from 12v anyway. I would suggest you plug your cell into the existing 6v on your car and see if it charges. If you don't run a battery at all one of those mag output reducer/stabilizer units could work for this?
Why don't you download the app and have a play first and see what you think, mine easily swaps several display colors and metric to imperial etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Kevin - I've always liked the idea of a GPS driven speedometer for my T. I didn't want to have to install a power port for charging, or wire-up a sensor for a typical bike speedometer. The little Garmin I have solved those problems for me, and I'm very happy with it. Although I had to spend a few bucks, it was worth it to me for the total solution it provided me with. Nothing against the various ways that other folks set-up and install their speedometers (or speedometer apps), it just wasn't what I wanted to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:32 am:

I ran a test today and my Tablet (7" Samsung approx 4 yrs old) lasted 5 hrs 22 mins with the app running before asking to be topped up. More than enough to last on a general run, no need for any in car charging options. This evening on our normal 12 mile canal run I sat the tablet on the floor in front of passengers feet, easy to read & worked well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Does your tablet run an "app" or how is it telling you the info?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Maybe need help.

Installed a power plug female socket, and got power, my T is 6v. Plugging in the Garmin Nuvi, it works great. But plugging in my Verizon car adapter plug, the iPhone 6 reads "unknown device" and won't charge. It charges OK in my modern.

So I got another cheap adapter, but got the same message. Who is using an iPhone 6 with 6vDC battery power to an adapter? Need to find an adapter male plug that works!

But here is the bike speedo install on my T's at the wheel. You have to lengthen the wires, but that is easy using left over mini ear bud wire sets for the wires.

Wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Paul - Yes I downloaded a free App. It costs nothing to download or operate it. More info is listed earlier in this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I had thought the "app" was for cell phones. I did not know that a tablet could use them too.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 02:47 am:

My tablet being a Samsung also has an android operating system the same as my Samsung cell phone. The apps are the same, go to "play store" then put "gps speedo" in the search box. I selected one off the first page that come up with "free' beside it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:36 am:

I looked into Gary H. White's suggestion and found, on Speedhut's website, this 60-mph GPS speedometer (with a regular & trip odometer and lots of other neat computerized functions). _One of the nice features is the ability to customize the appearance with a choice of numeral fonts, dial colors, tick-marks, pointer colors and even the color of the bezel—brass in this case. _At $260.00, it costs about the same as your average talking GPS navigator.

If I used a hose clamp, the available mount would probably wobble on the Model T's odd-shaped steering column, so I cobbled together this soft, pine mounting block to give it a flat surface. _It's not especially pretty, so I'll just paint it black and let it hide below door level, in the shadows of the cowl.

A nicer looking mounting option might have involved making a cylinder out of brass sheetmetal to give the speedometer more or less the same dimensions as a Ford unit and mounting it in the traditional place on the dashboard—but it's difficult to read the instrument there and my car is a driver, so I decided on a column mount.

It takes a few weeks to manufacture one of these units because of the mild customization involved, but once the thing arrives and is installed and operating, I'll let you know how well it worked out. _Right now, it looks like a good way to go.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-GPS-13/1/GPS-Speedometer-Gauge-60mph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Bob & Gary - I like the looks of those. Their spec sheet notes they run on 8-18VDC power. Us guys with 6v systems would likely need to install a converter or booster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Dave, they're easy to find on the web. _Here's one. _Scroll to the bottom of the page:

https://www.newportwipers.com/new.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Thanks Bob. I saw a few others on the web as well. With that, and the gauge, I'd be up to a little over $400. Think I'll stay with my Garmin for now, but definitely will keep in mind for the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 12:07 am:

Dave,
The complete, mechanical speedometer kit that Lang's sells goes for $400.00, which I take to be a very fair price. But that's still a hundred bucks more than this Speedhut GPS setup which is ridiculously simple to install, is extremely accurate right out of the box and features a clock, a compass and two types of odometers (total and trip). _To my mind, it was an even toss-up as to which type of unit I wanted, so I decided to save a hundred bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Another inexpensive and easy option for a GPS speedometer is to get a used 3G Android smartphone without a mobile plan. They can be easily found on eBay for $10-$20. Once you get one, just connect to any WiFi signal and download a free speedometer app and then turn on the GPS on the phone.

Then buy an external battery pack to extend the life of the battery when in use.

I used this setup to charge my phone when I am not near a 110 VAC or 12 VDC outlet.

It is an apadpter that is designed to attach to any 12, 14.4, or 18 volt Dewalt battery and charge any device via a USB connector.

I have recharged my phone almost 3 times off of one Dewalt 18 volt battery before it needed to be recharged.

You can get one off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PoweriSite-USB-Charger-DeWalt-Batteries/dp/B00MBU8Z0Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Booth on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Ed,
That charger is nifty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

The cell phone will probably charge on the cars 6v

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 02:09 am:

Speedhut makes GPS speedometers and the customer can specify the typeface, the color of the dial, type of pointer, etc. _I chose a 60 mph dial, the brass bezel and the little Jesus fish graphic.

Speedhut's mount won't work on a Model T because of the odd shape of the steering column's cross-section, so I made a "sandwich block" out of soft pine (which is very easy to contour with ordinary files) and mated it to Speedhut's mount.

I realize, of course, a column-mounted speedometer that works with orbiting satellites is about as non-period correct as you can get, but authentic, working speedos are hard to come by, are very expensive and, when mounted in the correct position on the dashboard, rather difficult to read.

To make the installation less conspicuous, I mounted the speedo low on the column, inside the cowl. _The brass bezel makes it look kind of official and maybe it might even fool a non-expert.

The installation was fairly straightforward and I wired it up so the dial and pointer would light up any time my master switch is on. _The speedometer itself works like a charm and the action is very smooth. _It has a regular odometer, a trip odometer, a compass and a few other functions. _Smaller versions without the odometer window are also available.

Of course, tire diameter doesn't matter to a GPS speedometer and no calibration is needed. _Just give it 12-volts and it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 06:40 am:

These "apps" are nice, but the device they run on makes me a bit concerned. Guess that's why I still use a landline, bike speedo, and regular GPS.

To each his own....

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/technology/samsung-galaxy-hack/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Next someone will be mounting a HUD (heads up display) unit so they can see the info in the windshield and not be distracted looking down to the firewall.

I like my Garmin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

... and a Bluetooth hands-free cell-phone system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

I love this but for the 12v!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

There are numerous HUD apps for phones. Kinda doesn't work on a vertical windshield though!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

I use the Hud sometimes with my 8" tablet, stick it up the back of my coupe under the window facing forward and if I want to see speed or Altitude etc I look in the rear view mirror.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration