Car top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Car top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:54 am:

The last 2 times my friend and I were out on tour, we trailered our 25 & 26 coupes on open trailers to the gathering start point to meet the others. Both cars experienced a ballooning up of the vinyl top in the middle at speeds of about 55-60 MPH. The ballooning was a couple of inches. After arriving at our destinations the top settled back down to normal the first time. The second time it took awhile in the sun to relax completely. Has anybody come up with a solution to this problem?
Besides.....going slower, duck tape, no trailering. Bob and Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Crisscross ratchet straps across your top and the problem will be solved.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Brassy, Where would you place the ratchets? Have you ever tried this method? How about strips of canvas material with Velcro sewed to the ends?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:53 am:

This is why I went to an enclosed trailer,on the open cars if you have an open trailer you must have the top down or it will get torn up at highway speeds, the closed cars can also get their top damaged and if you go through a rain storm... well we all know how watertight a model "T" is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I use a couple of longer straps and go under the chassis.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I saw one fellow w/a '26 two door w/a sheet of plywood strapped to the roof when trailering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Dis is hows I do's it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Don is right. Shrink wrap is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Like this Bob? We followed a friend pulling a coupe on an open trailer back in 2012. My wife took the photo. He has pulled it many miles since and the top is still there.

Poofy top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

When I did my pickup, all I had was an open trailer. I got my upholstery guy to make me a "glove" made of padded vinyl with nylon strap reinforcement that fit snugly all the way to the bottom of the belt rail. With grommets in each corner, it's hooked with bungee cords to the lip of the running boards. Prior to that, I had a TT with the same problem. It had an Orange Crush sign fitted as a replacement for vinyl during the depression. After restoration, I laid a blanket (cut to fit)on the top, then the metal sign, then 3 small ratchet straps from running board to running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

In the 1970s, I remember seeing on a regular basis Cadillacs and other GM cars on the highway with vinyl tops that were ballooning, especially landau half tops.

The air would rush under the trim and, if the vinyl wasn't sufficiently glued down, the covering would balloon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

If a person could just figure out "hook-up points" (running boards maybe?) it seems to me like those stretchy pickup truck spider web type cargo tie-down thingies would work well,......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:03 am:

My old pontiac convertible would do that. I would just lower the side windows a little and the top would settle down when towing. Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Bill...That' exactly what's happening.

Harold....I just received a cargo net from my daughter she never used from her suv. I'm going to install grommets and short ropes with bungee straps to the running boards.

Others....This is not caused from the top not being sealed down around the edges and wind getting under the top. This action is caused from the wind traveling across the top surface and causing a vacuum to pull the fabric up. It will do the same thing, windows up or down, when about 55mph is reached. The only item that raises is the top vinyl cover.

I'll post a picture of the cargo net once completed and installed. Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration