Looking for an Ames bodied speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Looking for an Ames bodied speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Anyone seen this car? It was black with red wheels when these photos were taken:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1317-Looking-for-an-Ames-Speedster- anyone-seen-this-car?p=4169#post4169

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Royce, I have looked at a lot of speedsters over the years, but that one I have not seen (I am pretty sure I would have remembered it). A speedster that nice at that time should still be around, maybe hiding somewhere. I do like the Ames speedsters. They have an attractive simplicity about them. Good luck on your quest!
Is one of the kids in the picture you?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Wayne,

I am not in that picture. I am sure that Caspar Ness must have snapped it due to the great image quality and composition. Possible that one of the kids is Rich Ness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:07 am:

Jerry thanks for the lead!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Royce,

If Jerry’s lead does not take you to the speedster below are some other items to consider.

I’m sure that Ames body is still out there. If it was an original period speedster there is a better chance that it is still on the 1918 chassis than if your Dad assembled it on the 1918 chassis. Do you know which it was? There were not that many early car folks that were trying to preserve the cars as originally found as there are today. I would guess over the past 50 plus years there is also a good chance the car was modified. Many folks would have replaced the 1918 chassis all at once or one major assembly at a time with things like a 1926-27 hopped up engine & transmission and large brake drum rear axle (possibly Ruckstell). Lowered front end and rear end etc. And probably replaced the wood wheels also.

Recommend you contact Kevin Mowle also goes by Bill. He recently published the book “Amesbuilt: History of the F.A. Ames Company” see: http://www.amazon.com/Amesbuilt-History-F-A-Ames-Company/dp/150081976X He has been researching those bodies and cars for years. He may be able to give you a lead etc.

You may also want to contact Polk directories.
http://www.polkcitydirectories.com/polk/?mediacode=03F1U&phone=866.610.0675&gclid=CPHd6PPo4cUCFdgTgQodwKAA8g&tab=auto_data The last time I discussed their antique car database, they had not bothered to up date it since 1990 or 2000 etc. But they may be able to help you locate the registration “IF” it is was currently licensed the last time they saved the data and “IF” it used the same engine serial number. They are not free, but if you do not find any other leads that might provide one.

I would also recommend checking the back issues of the MTFCI and MTFCA for photos etc. during the tours. That car stands out and if it was on tour folks would have likely taken a photo of it. You may be able to discover some previous owners that way.

Suggest you consider posting on the AACA site and HCCA site. Many folks will not bother to go back to the MTFCI site and even if they do – the link took me to the bottom of the page with the magazine rather than the top of the page with the photo. I only dug a little deeper because of the comments on this site about a picture – so I went back to look closer.

And if you still haven’t found it – running adds in the printed magazines will reach a different group of readers who don’t use the internet.

Good luck with your hunt.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Hap,

It was a complete car when Dad got it. Pictures of it before he painted it show it was white with red accents. The link you provided is the same one Jerry sent me, thanks again to both of you for that.

2159157 is the Engine Serial Number and the number used for registration in 1956. Hopefully some one can recognize the car, there cannot be many around with this particular body style. I have not found any photos on line showing the exact same body and hood louver style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Royce, I bought the book that Kevin published. It does not have any pics even close to what your dad had.
I think you have seen my Ames Speedster, not even close to the pic either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Found this adv photo in 1922 Automotive Trade Journal for Ames bodies for Fords.

Appears real similar to the racer in Royce's search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 07:41 am:

Here's a better scan of that picture Dan:

I think it has the same basic shape, but round port holes instead of the louvered hood design on Dad's car in the 1956 picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Young on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

There are supposed to be several Ames bodied cars at the speedster reunion next month.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration