Finally swapping the motor and a tour of Lang's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Finally swapping the motor and a tour of Lang's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:05 am:

you might remember that I have a 1919 hack with the original - unmolested, well documented motor - and a 26 spare motor.

Lately the brake in the transmission lost most of it's stopping power so I figured that it needed adjusting. Part of my plan to get ready for the Memorial Day parade was to adjust the bands, but I found that there was little adjustment left and even with the spring bottomed out the brakes were still not good.

That left me with two alternatives - re-line or swap the motor so on Friday morning I decided to do a motor swap with hopes to be ready for a Saturday AM parade. about noon on Friday I realized that I needed a few parts, called Langs and found that they had them in stock so we drove about 2 hours to Baldwinsville.

What a fantastic treat - Don was there and he graciously showed my son and me his current vehicles.
I can't say which one I liked the best but seeing the T that ran on the Bonneville salt was worth the trip in itself.
His new location is fantastic and although it was "slow day" they were packing T parts for people all over the world.
Guys like Don help our T hobby survive.

As you can guess - we didn't get done in time for the Saturday parade and it is still not completed because had to lift the body to get the motor out and we found that we need more parts.

I must admit that part of the delay is that it takes me twice as long to do half the work these days. :-)
We will also be installing the AC brakes because I did not like the feeling when I put my foot on the brake and the vehicle barely slowing down.

Almost forgot - My son took a bunch of videos and stills of the car before we started and he hung a camera in the garage that recorded much of our work. He plans on making a Youtube video. I also took some pictures at various stages of the swap. I hope to a couple come out as good as his work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Look forward to the video postings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

the forum haelped me be a hero in front of my son when we put the new motor in the T.

I told him to use the string technique when we aligned the universal joint and he thought I was a genius!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration