Must be the timing ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Must be the timing ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Hi,
I filled the tank with new gas, a new TW timer. I tried to set the timing with the TW indicater . The car started fine but ran very rough, when I switched to mag it almost stalled. Miss firing and back firing all the time.
Any ideas ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Did the car have this problem before you changed the timer?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

I think you might have gotten a couple wires mixed up at the timer when switching it. Easy to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Sounds like two cylinders are hooked up criss-crossed. Easy enough to trace - slowly turn the crank and listen for each coil to buzz. Then test each plug with a screwdriver to the head, to see which one is firing.

Caution -- Don't let a coil buzz for very long. They get hot.

The firing order is 1 - 2 - 4 - 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Or you have the through hole on the cam shaft and your turned the brush assembly 180 but I don't think it would even start, check your wires on the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Thanks everyone,
Stephen , I did not have this problem before I switched the timer. I will have to check if I crossed something up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Timer is wired 1243 but remember it is counter clockwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Check the insides of the timer case very carefully. On my TW timer there was a thin, curly scrap of metal (similar to a metal lathe shaving) that lodged between a timer segment and the case causing a short. I don't know if this was in the timer when new or possibly a shaving of the new brush while "bedding in".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Mark and John,
Thank you, I will check this out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Randy you ain't got it solved yet!?! Definitely come back and let us know if you fixed it! I always like to know how things turned out for folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Here's the color version. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

There is an old adage that seems to apply to everything I do and maybe it works here too. When something goes wrong, look at what you did last. I usually find the fix within the last thing I "fixed".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Seth, I will try and work on it this weekend and keep you posted . Steve, thanks for the color rendition, it helps to clear things up

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration