Free Neutral- cam too high or low?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Free Neutral- cam too high or low?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

I have been studying that black and white line drawing of the clevis attachment for free neutral but I still have an issue; with the hand-brake vertical, or close to so- what is my cam supposed to look like? In other words, should I turn it down more to push down more, or turn up to push less?

Here's the situation- in neutral hand-brake spot, the wheels are spinning in high gear, fairly fast.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

When you pull back on the hand brake, the cam bolt should make the clutch pedal move toward the firewall 1.5 inches. The wheels will spin if they are jacked off the floor with the hand brake vertical but if you fully engage the brake all the way back they will stop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Even with my handbrake fully engaged they don't stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Then you need to adjust those properly first so there is even pull on both sides Do you have the service manual?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

I ended up letting it run while turning the cam bolt down until I got a free neutral.

I probably have a full inch of bolt extending down onto the cam, does that mean I may need to lengthen my clevis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Re;should I turn it down more to push down more, or turn up to push less?
?
The only cam in the clutch linkage is the one on the parking brake cross shaft.
The clevis is part of the story. The other part(s) are the cam on the parking brake cross shaft and screw on the clutch shaft lever. You could have the clevis disconnected, pull the parking brake lever back and still have neutral and could even still drive the car if the three clutch fingers are properly adjusted.
Take the cover off and look at the clutch fingers, when the lever is pulled back, are they loose? If they are not then you need to turn the screw down to push the lever up away from the cross shaft cam.
Even warmed up with the car jacked up hand brake handle pulled to neutral, parking brakes off the wheel(s) will spin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Your wheels should not spin at all with the car jacked up and the hand brake applied At least mine doesn't Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Yes that means you may have to check and reset the clevis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

He said he fully applied the emergency brake and they still were spinning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

I got that, we were all typing and saving at the same time. He needs to get the clutch issue fixed before he worries about the parking brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Here is how I adjust the low pedal linkage and clutch lever bolt. Put the brake lever all the way forward. Loose the jamb nut on the low pedal linkage and take out the clevis pin. Pull the pedal back all the way and adjust the clevis so that the hole in the clevis lines up with the hole in the clutch lever. Put the clevis pin back in and tighten the jamb nut. Now sit in the seat and hold the clutch pedal in the neutral position with your foot. Pull the hand lever back and screw in the clutch release bolt until it comes in contact with the cam then go about one turn tighter. Tighten the jamb nut. Now adjust your brake rods so that both back wheels lock solid.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Thanks Stephen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Tentatively, now with free neutral- here is my cam position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Adjust to the same place but turn the bolt over so the wider head rides on the cam. Don't forget to lock it back down. :-) Been there done that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

If your lever is vertical then that is perfect. You may want to get a new bolt but, for the time being that should be fine.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

I think I have it now- thanks to all who helped! Next step, find a good drag link and then get it back on the road.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration