Minnesota history

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Minnesota history
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

First Ford car manufactured in St. Paul.
And loading cars on barges

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

There are more St. Paul assembly plant pictures here:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/847-A-new-Ford-Plant-in-St-Paul-Min nesota?highlight=paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

There are over two hundred photos related to the St. Paul Ford plant in the collections of the Minnesota Historical Society including the ones posted above. High resolution prints can be purchased. I also believe that they will also provide high resolution scans on disk.

Not all the photos have been scanned for online preview, but there are still plenty that can be viewed online.

http://greatriversnetwork.org/index.php?brand=cms&sort=date_asc&q=ford%20plant

Once the link opens, click on photos on the left to narrow the search.

A local gentleman has been working on a detailed history of the plant over the last few years. His name eludes me and I don't know if his book has been published.

Everything has on the plant grounds has recently been torn down or is in the process of being torn down. There was a push by concerned citizens for some historic preservation of certain architectural elements of the complex, especially saving part of the building that housed automobile showroom and incorporating it into new development, but there was absolutely no support from the politicians, including the mayor of St. Paul.

The Twin Cities assembly plant sat on a prime piece of real estate next to the Mississippi River. It is unique in that it is not located in an industrial area of St. Paul. It is a stand-alone industrial complex on the south end of a residential area known as Highland Park. Highland Park is a very desirable place to live - it has very well maintained pre and post WWII middle-class and upper middle-class houses including many million dollar homes, especially along the river. It's like a suburb within the City of St. Paul.

The new development will probably be a mixture of housing and retail. That, micro-breweries and professional sports stadiums are about the only thing that politicians in the Twin Cities seem to care about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Erik, what was done at the Ford building on University Av. at Rice St.
I thought model T cars were assembled there.?.!
I remember when you could still see the word FORD painted on the water tank up on the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:58 am:

The branch on 117 University was completed around 1913/14 and Ford cars were assembled there for only three years.

The building still exists. As far as I know, it has been owned by the State of Minnesota for many years.

It was in danger of being torn down and in 2004 it was listed on the Minnesota Preservation Alliance "Ten Most Endangered" historic building list.

http://fordlegacymn.com/st-paul-ford-plant-at-117-university-ave/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration