Loose tank in straps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Loose tank in straps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I got my straps up as tiight as they will go the still wiggle on tank
What a good suggestion take up this distance
I was thinking frame welting? But was not sure what others have done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Hi Bob,

The tank should not be tight in the straps!
Ford intended the straps to only lightly grip the tank so that as the car traveled over very rough roads causing the frame to wrack and twist the fuel tank could actually move a bit and not be distorted or, worse yet, spring a leak.

In fact, the original hardware holding the straps together (that is, not the strap to frame bolts) is a carriage bolt drilled for a cotter pin, a plain hex nut (NOT a castle nut) and the cotter pin.

Hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Thanks bill this would make sences

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 04:23 am:

What type of tank is it?
I would agree a round or oval under-the-seat tank should be mounted without any welting but if it's a cowl tank for a 26/27 car, then it need a lot of welting and padding - see this recent thread with links to available repro parts: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/543994.html?1432645569

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

I couldn't find these pictures the other day. They were mis-filed.

These are original Gas Tank Strap Bolts:

I'm a bit embarrassed by the mediocre picture quality. It was the best I could do with the phone's camera. I hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Bill, are both of the strap bolt nuts suppose to be towards the back of the car?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Hi Stephen,

Yes. They have to because the straps are punched for the carriage bolt such that the bolt can only go in on one side of the strap.

Hope that this helps. Bill

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration