DON"T trust those old shackes !!!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: DON"T trust those old shackes !!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

So dad said he was going to replace them. Guess he never got around to it. Noticed that front seemed too stiff or ?? when going over some speed bumps. Got a new set and went to do the job today. Lord have mercy !!! The way they looked it looked like one or both might be missing a bushing. #1 seemed ok ,bushings intact,no excessive play. #2 Whoa what was that noise ??

#1 had a shaft a little longer than other Wierd Henry
Replace #2, discovered it was 3/8s longer than orig. Ok replace #1 so all is the same,spring bush was a B___h !! Got out, driver stuck in spring. Dang it !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Those do not look like Ford shackles. I bet they are repros from the 60s 70s era. Lot of poor repro parts made during that time period. The other shackles that are sometimes a danger are the ones with rivet heads to attach the bolt to the plates. There are the solid rivet type and the hollow rivet type that accepts a grease fitting. The problem with them is the rivet head can work loose and then the front shackle fail. Not a good thing when driving at speed. I never use that type anymore. Just not worth the risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

George, they look to be fabricated to me. There were numerous shackle pins available for later applications. These give the appearance of having been used to repair the originals. Perhaps the back of the shackle was drilled out to take the other threaded end of a shackle pin, the thread cut off and the end then welded in place to replicate the original. It looks like the weld failed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

My first thought also. Probably '60s repro. They made a lot of really bad stuff back then.
Glad you found it before something nasty happened. And thank you for posting the heads up!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Looks like the other side of that broken one is about to let go too.

Yep, a lot of those repros back in the 70's were foreign made and they were always a problem. Either the bloody things tolerancing was off and metric or the material used was utter crap, oh and forget about heat treating...none of those manufactures then knew what that meant!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Well the car is an older restoration when dad picked up for a song. And this was back in the days before the 'puter. The new ones are universals from one of the vendors seem to appear topnotch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:49 am:

George,

You should try to find new or good used original shackles. The reproductions, even the current batch, have been known to fail early. They just fall apart. Not good!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:57 am:

Here is a picture of one of the failed reproduction shackles next to a couple of good originals. This one had only a few miles on it when it failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Comment: Occasionally there are comments made about replacement parts from the 1960/1970 as being poor quality. If the 1960's part was installed in 1960 - in a 1922 Ford as the example year - the part to be replaced was 38 years old and worn out. The 1960 replacement part in 2014/2015 is now 55 years old and in need of replacement. The point is the replacement part from 1960 lasted longer than the 1922 part. No doubt the original part if cleaned, lubricated every 500 miles would have lasted longer if driven with care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Is the broken one marked "Ford"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:58 am:

I have never seen a FORD shackle do that. This repro let go on me a couple of years ago.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/401615.html?1384559326

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:08 am:

There are still NOS shackles around if you look hard enough. I've seen plenty of good used ones too if you wish to look for them. It's is obvious the one you posted is not Ford. I even see early shackles from time to time, so there is no need for alarm.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration