Which axle seals do I need?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which axle seals do I need?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:36 am:

It appears one of my outer rear axle felt grease seals has failed. I want to order the aluminum and neoprene type but noticed on Lang's site that there is one for 1909-1917 cars and another for 1918-1927 cars. The axle housing on my 1919 is the only part that might be year incorrect, it has the earlier high filler plug. Even then, that might be original on my branch plant car. Does anyone know what the difference is? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Dave-
There is a size difference. I believe the earlier one is smaller and the later one bigger. Not by much, but just enough so the big one will be loose on an earlier axle and the small one too tight to go on the later axle.

If you have a Ruckstell with an earlier axle, you will need one of each. But of course, they come in pairs. You can probably figure out how I know that...

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:51 am:

If it's rear axle oil leaking out, not just bearing grease, the problem isn't the outer seal. That takes a good inner seal. It goes between the end of the tube and the bearing sleeve. The neoprene inner seal sold by all the parts dealers is listed for all years. If this is your problem, neither felt nor neoprene outer seals will fix it.

If it's just bearing grease, my theory is that a new felt outer seal should be enough as long as you don't cram in too much grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:03 am:

If the difference is the size of the axles themselves and not the housings, then I am lost as I have replaced both axles with unknown year Ford originals. I have also installed neoprene inners and leaking axle fluid is not the problem. The problem is leaking axle grease and lots of it. I do feel I have been over greasing that area by a large margin. Perhaps I should try new felt seals and go easy on greasing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Bill Bohlen sells a wonderful axle seal that is a neoprene cup with a stainless steel flat plate. I put them in our Speedster in 1999 and there hasn't been a drop of grease leak at any time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Axle shafts are the same, 1912-1927. I'd try the felts and ease up on the greasing, and occasionally pull the bearings to be sure they're getting enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Dave -- The difference is in the size of the ends of the housings, not the axles. If you're unsure of the size(s) of your housings, measure them with a caliper and talk to a tech guy at Lang's to determine which part(s) you need. Or post that info here and someone will be able to help you.

IMHO, the neoprene/aluminum seals are more effective than the felt ones. I don't mind spending the extra $$ for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:18 am:

p.s. -- If you're losing lots of grease from the outer seals, it might be that the roller bearings/sleeves are worn, allowing too much play in the axles. Be sure to check for movement in the axles while you have things apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Ok, that's plenty of info which should help me decide what to do. I think I will try new felts and much less grease and see how that goes. I've spent enough on this thing already and it now seems to be asking for a new carburetor. Thanks for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I should add that I recall one of my axle seal cups seemed very thin and a bit beat up. That and too much grease is probably why the seal on one side failed. I will order new cups as well. Everything else in the axle has been replaced as needed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration