The joke's on me _ Front axle for my '14

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The joke's on me _ Front axle for my '14
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I finally got the front axle apart, cleaned, re-bushed, painted and assembled in the 1914 chassis. It seemed like a good early axle.

Does anyone else see a problem? I can't even blame Mr. Murphy for this one.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

26 / 27 spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Trade someone for a rebushed set of the correct spindles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Richard
Do you have the right steering arms. No vertical offsets? Also the correct tie rod?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

Wide track?, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

The axle had the correct arms even the hole for the speedometer arm. I didn't notice the spindle position until I was reaming the bushings in the second one. It just shows that after 51 years of "T" experience we can still overlook the obvious. I will change these out at some point in time but the car will sit a little lower until then. The tie rod is correct. After looking for 26/27 spindles you think I would have noticed this earlier. Finding them on an early axle was a surprise. Just shows that anything can happen to these things over the years.

OK, I'm ready for the next problem.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Assembled the axle backward?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Never mind. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Laughing out loud in sympathy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

It's OK. I need a good laugh once in a while and no damage done. I would have been disappointed if several other things had been mentioned that weren't right. Years ago I worried over every little detail but the cars I build now are just pure fun.

I hope every T guy can enjoy their cars this much.

Rich

P.S. It's not a wide track but the photo does make it look wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

So you have the first "Low Rider" ever made a very rare car in deed. Did you add the mag skid plates or the hydraulic lift kit? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Rich -- You might like having the later spindles on the car. I have them on my '21, on purpose. The lower stance isn't noticeable, but the reduced camber is. And the front tires will last a lot longer with the later spindles because of that. So it may not be a problem after all. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Good point Mike. I will be driving it a while before any changes. I will see how it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:17 am:

Rich, your car will climb hills better because it will always think it's going downhill! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:33 am:

And don't the later spindles afford one to use the tapered roller bearings rather than the ball bearings too? I'm not sure if you can use the modern bearings on the early spindles, looks to me like you can't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Question/request: does anyone have the bushing reamer and face cutter they'd be willing to lend me? I have fresh bushings for my spindles, but haven't bit the bullet yet on the $150+ worth of tools I need for a relatively rare job. I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways.

PM me if this is a possibility. If not, I'll just eventually add those to my growing stash of T-specific tools I use once in a blue moon. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Tim, I believe either type of bearing can be used on early or late spindles. The inner bearing surface and the threaded portion is the same.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration