How to keep motivated..by waiting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to keep motivated..by waiting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Burton, SC on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

My car has been in line a while (year+), waiting to see the local mechanic. I am wondering how some of y'all keep motivated during the down time. It seems like forever. Just curious? Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Read this Forum - take mental notes (if you've got the memory)...

In my case I make "hard copies" of the numerous tips that appear! (And dream!!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Go buy a cheap running T and drive it. That will take your mind of the one that does not run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Robert - Not sure I'd wait over a year for my car to be repaired by anyone. Depending on the problem, perhaps it would be worth it to find someone else that might be able to get to it sooner, or possibly dive in yourself (again, depending on the problem and your skill level). JMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

What's it need? Short of a complete engine overhaul or something similar, I can't believe you couldn't find someone else to help you work on the dang thing. I know I would if I were close enough. Are you a member of the SCMTFC? Lot's of members in your area and I mean RIGHT in your area. Surely someone can help you out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Hal - Looks like you and I were thinking the same thing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Is this a T shop or just a general mechanic? Sounds like your car is considered a pain and has been pushed aside for easier and more profitable work. That could mean even longer waiting, a higher bill and even substandard work. Time to put on a brave face and yank it out of there. I would do as the others here have posted. Telling us about it is a good first step.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Burton, SC on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Hey guys, the car is going in for engine overhaul. To a very capable t guru. Just he has been busy life and jobs. I have been thinking about dyi but I am not a mechanic with tools. I get flustered too easy and start rushing to get finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Well if the engine and transmission are still in running order let it blow smoke, and leak oil until you can get it to the rebuilder. Just keep adding oil and have fun while your waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Robert,

A Model T engine will run "ok" to "fair" with a much wider range of tolerances than one of the current modern cars.

Depending on what is wrong with the engine, the "just adding oil" as suggested above can work fine. But don't let it get low on oil as that adds a lot to the rebuild cost. My first Model A Ford used a quart of oil about every 100 miles -- and I had so much fun with that car. And when I stopped and checked the oil, I wasn't adding the top of the line oil -- but the bottom of the line, and single weight, etc.

As asked above what is wrong with the engine? A rod sticking through the block will not respond well to just adding oil. If it is a burnt valve, you should stop driving and get it repaired so you don't hurt the valve seat in the block etc.

From the photo in your profile the car doesn't look bad. I'm over in Sumter SC and I have tools and if you want to learn, we could easily take a look at it. We could also learn on one of my cars, if you are concerned about me breaking something. I don't charge anything -- and not just because we don't get it fixed right. But I still love the shop poster that says, "If we don't fix it you don't pay. Haven't had a paying customer in years." I have more than enough projects to keep me entertained for a long time. And I probably need some help getting started on some of mine also.

Also is the engine already out of the car or are you waiting to get it into the shop so they can examine the engine?

I think I may know which shop you are waiting to get into. The one I am thinking about does great work, very knowledgable, good prices, but they are back logged a lot.

I just checked and you are already listed as a member of the Model T Ford Club of SC. On their member list they have 10 or 11 folks listed in Columbia, Lexington, Cayce, etc. Have you spoken to any of them? They have a tour coming up in Jun. If there is room they will gladly give you a ride etc. And most owners will gladly get the T out and take you for a ride as they enjoy having a reason to take the T out. Disclaimer -- I am currently in between running Ts that are registered/insured that also run. Like I said, I need to get some work done or register a different car.

Just some thoughts. But depending on what needs to be done, how much has already been done, you can probably find a "win-win" solution for your desires. (A temp engine might even work?).

John -- if you are reading this and you still need help on the rear axle -- please let me know. I didn't volunteer a few weeks ago because I was way too far behind on the "honey do list."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I have 3 T's, so there is usually at least one which runs at all times. Most of the time all 3 are running. What motivates me when I have a problem with one is doing as much of the work as I can. I let an experienced machinist do the grinding and an expert bearing service do the babbit work, but I tear it apart and put it back together.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I vote with the "buy a cheap T". Nothing keeps me more motivated than driving one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

There are lots of folks who are knowledgeable about rebuilding Model T engines and transmissions. Several of them are probably within a day's drive of you, so it's time to look elsewhere for a mechanic. You might need to pull the engine/trans out of the car and deliver it to someone else; maybe that's what you are trying to avoid. But pulling it isn't that big of a deal. It's time to get on with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:29 am:

Engine rebuild......Well it kinda depends on what you want to do.

Does you car have to have THAT engine? If so, when do you want it done? Since you've waited this long, a couple more months might not hurt. I'd solicit some help in pulling the engine, then take it/send it to someone who can do the job for you. I have had good luck just farming out the machine work and doing the assembly work myself, but if that's not your forte, have it rebuilt, then solicit some more help for the re-installation.

If THAT engine is not so important, find another one that is either ready to go or have it rebuilt, then swap them out. That is what I did with my TT. I bought a rebuildable engine, rebuilt it, and swapped them out. Took the TT to breakfast one Saturday morning. Came home. Pulled the engine. Put the rebuilt engine in, and went for a test drive that same evening. For someone who's more familiar with them, it wouldn't even take that long to swap them out.

I think someone may have mentioned it above, but you might even find someone with a loaner engine that would let you borrow it while you have yours out for rebuild. Of course, that doubles the R&R work, but it gets you on the road without the investment in another engine, but "investment" is a misleading word. I paid something like $300 or $500 for a complete rebuildable engine that had good babbitt in the block. Not a lot of money.

There are all kind of options. Get some help and get on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Robert,

No offense intended ... but ...

I have a friend who has had a Model A in a " reputable shop " in the South.

I delivered it ...

My friend is terminally ill & would like his car while he still can drive it - I don't see that happening.

The car has been " in the shop " for over (18) months now with no firm date of completion.

Once your car gets in - what assurance to you have in writing as to when it will be done ?

A year is too long to wait in my opinion ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Hap,

What a generous offer to make .... :-)

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Freighter Jim,

So many folks have helped me in the past and are still helping me with research items. I'm just trying to be of some help. Also Columbia is not far away -- so it could actually be practical.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration