Do you paint over body and door numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Do you paint over body and door numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I asked this question a while back but forget the answer.

What do you do, do you paint over the numbers on the body or doors?

I just dropped off the body and doors to the painter. I have a four door 1912. Three of the doors have the same number. The drivers dummy door has no number. The body has a different number.

I told the painter to mask over the numbers so they are visible. Then I was going to look for the nice wood trim that goes on top of the doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

In my shop I strip the metal bare, mask over the numbers when priming,feather the primed edges with sandpaper,put a thin primer or sealer coat over the numbers and then paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Robert-
The numbers on the bottoms of the doors should be the same as the number on the seat riser. The number on the brass body tag would be different.

On my body number, I found a set of 1/2" number stamps that were the same font as the original numbers. On the bottom of one of the doors, someone had sanded it down to make it fit, and almost obliterated the number. I lines up the stamps and "refreshed" the number deep enough so it would not fill in with paint.

No wood trim goes on the top of 1912 doors. The upholstery meets with the sheet metal with a row of nails on the sheet metal and binding on the upholstery.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Thanks Keith, I did not know the upholstery wrapped over the top. I bought an upholstery kit but have not opened the box yet or sized it up.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Just curious. What is the little S and H motorized machine in the back ground of the picture? Is it and old Choremaster one wheeled garden cultivator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Tom-
The car belongs to a friend of mine. A small garden cultivator would be my guess.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Tom, I think that is a K-91 Kohler on that machine. I am thinking edger for around walks and driveways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Robert-
Here is your 1912 upholstery:

http://bid.auctionbymayo.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/7786/lot/1040269/?url=%2Fv iew-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F7786%2F

: ^ )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration