Ruckstell shifters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ruckstell shifters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Last week i sold 3 shifters on the classifieds one of which was a different style then normal. There was some discussion as to what it was, Perfecto or Ruckstell. My 1924 T phone company truck has a third style, pictured here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Kim-
The shifter with rod on the driver side would have been used on TT trucks. The only reason there is the cross-over the driveline is to clear the battery. The battery on the TT is down by the running board, so there was no reason to do the cross-over.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Good thinking! I've never seen another, I sure like the extra room!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

There was yet another style. Looks like the one most commonly seen but the bolt hole eyes are round not pointed. Some came with a sheet metal support and were used on TTs. If you have an early hogshead these are the desired shifters because they fit the shallow scalloped areas far better than the later style, which often has to be trimmed to fit.
Here are two variations of that shifter. Note how one has the extra hole for attaching a sheet metal support piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

There was yet another style. Looks like the one most commonly seen but the bolt hole eyes are round not pointed. Some came with a sheet metal support and were used on TTs. If you have an early hogshead these are the desired shifters because they fit the shallow scalloped areas far better than the later style, which often has to be trimmed to fit.
Here are two variations of that shifter. Note how one has the extra hole for attaching a sheet metal support piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

I have one or two of that style with the additional sheet metal piece - I'll try and get a photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:48 am:

My TT has a round shafted shift handle with a plastic (?) knob.
The knob is engraved with an "H - L" marking.

Why are these all cast, the shaft contoured, and the knob part of
the whole assembly ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:03 am:

To my knowledge only the shifter above posted by Kim has a cast knob integral with the shift rod. The other knobs are made of a composite somewhat like plastic, threaded and removable. There are two shapes of knobs I am familiar with, the oval shape with stamped rings around the middle, and the round ball with an embossed ring around it, sort of like the planet Saturn. (Perfecto) I have never seen an original knob that looks like the ones being sold today. Except for the one above, the rods are round in shape, some are bent, most are straight. Often the bends you see are made by the former users.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Richard: How does the lower one in your photo above come apart? I like the early one that Kim posted the best, but I can't use one because of my authentic Rocky Mountain Brakes, so I use a late Eaton shifter, with the serrated shaft. With it you can locate the shift lever almost anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

On the later, current shifter, I make a mark at floor mat level cut it off something like 31/2 to 4 inches above the mark. Bore a 3/4 bar stack from both ends (leave a web about center) a couple thousand bigger (slip fit) than the shaft. Insert the top part of shaft coated with lok-tite, then slip the other end on stub sticking up through floor boards, remove as needed

Makes it easy for floor board and mat installation or removal. The splice shows, but for the convenience it is well worth it. If adjustment needed heat the lok-tite and adjust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Larry, to answer your question about the lower shifter coming apart, the back side of the shifter body has a clip on, removable panel that allows the shifter rod to be removed. You can't see it from the front. ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Additional photos of both the "truck" & "passenger" heavy sheet metal brackets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration