O.T. Firefox

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: O.T. Firefox
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:26 am:

I know some will say this dosen't belong here but I ran into this problem so to help Chris out before someone thinks it is a Forum issue when it is a browser issue I thought I would post it. If it is not required or desired then Chris Can delete it.
Firefox in it's latest upgrade has made changes that will cause you a headache.These changes will also be coming to an Internet Explorer equiped computer near you in short order.
The problem. When browsing in private mode and you follow a link to another page (such as a link to an old thread) your mouse will be disabled in the new page.
The Fix. Bring up a web page and type in about:config hit enter and you will see a screen that says changing these settings may void your warranty and there will be a selection that says yes I will be careful, click that and you will see a whole list of gobeldegook. Scroll down until you see a list of items that say
dom.disable_window_open_feature.close
dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
dom.disable_window_open_feature.personalbar
dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
dom.disable_window_open_feature.status
To the right of these list you will see a true or a false if it says false right click on that word and click TOGGLE from the drop down menu this will change it to true.

Bonus Problem. The preferences (edit > Preferences) have been moved to a web based page that really made my wife mad (she said she wanted the old preferences window back)
The Fix. While you are in the about:config window scroll up until you find
Browser.Preferences.incontent (the flag on this will be true right click and choose toggle to set it to false) now you have your old preferences window back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Or, just don't use private mode. All it does is clear your cache "on the fly" basically, so all you need to do is go to your "history" and clear everything there when you get ready to close your browser. We do that all the time, just a matter of habit. Everything's still "on" your hard drive anyway, so "private" mode isn't really so private anyway. Just at that particular moment. Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 07:35 am:

Tim My computer dosen't have a hard drive... everything is on a flash (Thumb) drive, however your service provider can track the sites you have been to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:43 am:

There is a version of Firefox compiled especially for windows (if that's what your using). It's faster, cleaner and overall a better browser for windows than firefox. I put all my customers on it.

Not sure if it has the same problem as you outline, but give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Maybe my version (38.0.1) is old, or maybe because I'm using a Mac, but no such problem here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:22 am:

G.R...how interesting. Never heard of that. Always willing to learn new things, what kind of computer do you use that relies/works on just a flash drive? What about RAM? Laptop, or a P.C.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Same here, Steve. Guess I need to read through all the posts first before responding!! I also understand that MAC's basically "prefer" to have us use Safari, but frankly I don't care for it due to the lack of a few features that Firefox does. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Tim I have both desk top and laptop the ram is handled in the same way as a normal computer most computers can be setup in bios to boot from a flash drive the Linux operating system just makes it easier since most computers have more than 2 USB ports I have the operating system and normal files on USB #0 and special Files Downloaded to USB#1 It started out as a bet that it could be done and I liked the improvement in speed so much I kept using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I turn on my computer and click on Model T Forum. Hopefully it works.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Maybe I will go buy a typewriter. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration