Valve Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:25 am:

My 1923 T engine has valves with .341" stems, so I assume these are replacements. I thought I would try the Ford Windsor valves to replace these, which are worn. Why are only exhaust valves used as replacements, and not intake valves?

At SummitRacing, there are dozens of the Windsor valves. Would this be acceptable for the T: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-v1237

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:32 am:

I suppose Ford Windsor intake valves has a larger diameter so they wouldn't be possible to make fit in a T engine at all.

Why buying a valve that you may have to modify to fit when you can buy the right style with pin locking from the vendors for the same price?
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3052SSC.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:37 am:

We use Windsor exhaust valves rather than intake valves because of the head diameter. The intakes are too big.

Those valves should work. I get SBC brand for about half that price from the local auto parts store. You can use Chevy 350 valve spring retainers. They fit T springs well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:18 am:

A lot of people use Chevy or Ford valves on the T. Is this because they are less expensive, or are they superior to T valves in some way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:37 am:

I believe modern exhaust valves are stainless steel and intakes are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Small block Chevy valves have larger heads than the T, Ford Windsor valves larger yet. This makes it possible in most cases to use a block with worn valve seats without having to have it machined for replacement seats. The larger valve heads put the valve back up on top of the deck. Plus, the .341" stems mean you ream out the worn out guides and get a proper fit with the new valves. Some also like the greater flow capacity of larger valves.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration