What to bend?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What to bend?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:49 am:

We put a 26 motor in the 19 and found that the cam on the brake handle does not align correctly with the bolt on the clutch lever.

The reason is obvious - the lever on the 19 is bent at an angle toward the transmission and the 26 lever is straight thus they don't match up.
Additionally the arm between the brake handle shaft and cam face on the 19 body is bent.

I guess I have two options - Bend the arm on the cam or bend the arm on the clutch shaft.

Which is best and should I use heat?

Original setup vs problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I would bend the arm on the clutch shaft. You could bend it cold but hot would be o.k. too. The brake shaft cam is a stamping with a "C" cross section. It won't like being bent and may crack or have an inherent weakness if it's bent. Also, the cam surface would then not be perpendicular to the clutch arm adjusting bolt, which may cause the bolt to want to slide off the cam face.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration