Cracked fender mount.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cracked fender mount.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:16 am:

One of my rear fender to splash shield mounts has cracked due to the terrible state of our roads as neglected by Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger. I was wondering what would be the best way to repair it. I considered brazing or JB Weld but I think I would be best to make a new part from scratch. I don't have any special equipment. I would have to remove the three rivets. Is it just common sense stuff, grind the burr off the small end, put something solid around the rivet head and drive them out with a punch? Put something round under the head to re install the rivets? Any hints on a better method? I don't want to have to buy more special tools for one job. Got lots already. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:37 am:

It's hard to say how it fits, but brazing seems to be the easiest way. However that would mess up any paint on the fender. Removing, fabricating and installing (rivets?) seems like a lot of work. Seems kinda crude anyway. Just remove it...wasn't an original part anyway (I think)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Swipe one off an unrepairable fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Love the first sentence.....:-)

Grind off the end and drill out the rivet. Easy stuff. You don't even have to use rivets again.....you can use unmarked carriage bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

That is an original part. Remove it, wire weld it and replace with small carriage bolts as mentioned above.

An alternative would be to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

JB weld will do nothing for that problem.
Grind off 1 end of each rivot, drive them out with a hammer and punch.
Just use a small carriage bolt in hole when replacing it. I tend to think although our roads are rough, that could have been after 100 years of bad roads. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Clean it V it out a touch and hit it with a wire welder, then smooth it up, clean and touch up the paint . No sense into turning a simple repair into a major problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

I don't have equipment to weld it. I like the idea about getting one off a rough fender but, finding parts in this frozen wasteland is never easy or cheap. I think I will make a new part (very easy) and seek out some carriage bolts although I don't recall ever seeing any that small. Thanks everyone.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration