Laid out my 1914 Project the other day!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Laid out my 1914 Project the other day!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Well, after accumulating parts for a couple years, I finally decided to get them out of the shed and set them out to see what I have. Its all for an early 14 hack/truck style body. I found an original dash plate with the Jan 1914 serial, so that's the date I am going off of. I thought originally I had late 13 early 14 style front fenders, but they turned out to be earlier 13s. Ah well, they are original and will work anyway. My original rear fenders (repops pictured) are on there way and are also 13s. So, its seems to become a wide crossover from 13 to 14. The rear end is all 15 parts. Although, I am going with the later front axle with the lower wishbone style. I still have a few more parts to go. I do have the hard to find carbide generator, its just at my shop for repair. I need to find a pair of correct radius rods and the forged/cast cam on the handbrake lever too. Cant seem to, but still looking. I do have the correct figure 8 shackles, with all original brass oilers (took a while to find all those oilers!). Id like to find a set of taper leaf springs soon, or someday, and will switch out the later ones. I am not sure who made my firewall, it looks like a very well done repro with a hardwood core. I found it at a swap meet in the condition you see, and it was never used. But it sure didnt fair well, so I have to fix it and refinish it. Its a work and collection in progress. As I find better pieces and more correct ones I am switching them out. I hope to get started on the chassis and running gear this summer, and the body this fall. I've been working on my engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Reminds me of something off Keystone cops or Laural and Hardy! :-) Esp that first picture. Except for engine and front spring looks like a good start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:05 am:

Hahaha! Yes it does now that you mention it. I had a front spring, but it had two cracked leaves I did not see. So I am on the hunt for one. I have a nice complete 17 engine and trans I am working on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:09 am:

Your firewall looks like a wall hanger to me. Cutting the firewall like someone has done, just to save time installing it or removing is not the smartest or the safest idea. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:11 am:

Looks a lot like "Watch us assemble this model T in 20 minutes or less--Assembly at Noon" displays.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:00 am:

The slot cut from the steering column hole to the radius is how they were produced at the factory. They started that in 1912 and continued through 1914.

Hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:49 am:

Good stuff Benjamin! That is how we do it in Australia. We don't have the luxury of finding complete cars or older restorations so we piece projects together from parts. I have built several brass radiator T's that way and will be soon laying out a heap of 1916 mechanicals to start a new project with my son. I will be sure to post pictures and update the forum fo9lk of progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:37 am:

'14's are great. It's nice to see another one going together.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Looks like a good start, Benjamin.

I'd figure out a way to get some sort of industrial strength glue under pressure (maybe in a syringe?) and fortify that firewall.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing the progress, Benjamin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Following up on what Keith said, there are marine epoxies designed to penetrate that might work to stiffen up that firewall if it needs it and if that's what you want to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Thanks guys! Yes, I will look into the glue suggestions. It does need some work, but for 20 bucks, I think it was worth it! Especially being made as the originals were.

Warwick: thats kinda how this project started. I found the brass radiator in a friends storage unit. So I am building the car around that! hahaha! It sure would be nice to find an original 13-14, but not in the funds for one, and this is kinda neat just piecing it all together. Its a great learning experience on seeing what all goes into a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Anyone know of any original or good restored 13-14s out in the Cincinnati, Ohio area? It would be nice to look at them in person. Its hard to go by old pictures for all of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Ben: The Model T Haven will send single leaves if you want to go that way. Sorry i can't find the ph. #. Google it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Thanks Charlie, I did not think of them. I will see what they can do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration