My new baby

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My new baby
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 02:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:01 am:

Hubba hubba!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:44 am:

That's a next time for me Mate !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:40 am:

Beefing it up "Down Under". I'm envious.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:55 am:

Rob,

I'm so happy for you. It is a great feeling when you are putting the engine back together. I would guess that set up is for your 1915 speedster. But regardless, some T is going to have a nice running engine.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:03 am:

That crank looks like it weighs more than the block! It'll never join the "two piece club"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Rob -- Your T ought to really "Scat" with that in there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Rob I don't know what these guys are thinking. That's super unoriginal and looks terrible and I will take one for the team and take that off your hands. No charge. LOL =P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Gents,
I'm glad you like what you see.

Hap,
Yes sir, its for my speedster.

12 years ago, when I while restoring my '21, I was determined not to use a stock crank in any future T engine. I found, mainly from living on this forum, that there were a few choices open to me. Model A cranks were an obvious choice. Chevy 4 was also getting a good rap. Even those cast NZ counter-weighted cranks looked good....back then.
But when Scat started making these little honey's, I knew I just had to have one. Its not a stroker, just a stock spec Scat.
You can also see one of Glen Chaffins .280 performance cams in there. There are +.020 Egge aluminium pistons going into it and combined with the Waukesha Ricardo head, oversized valves, a Stan Howe rebuilt Stromberg OF, high volume intake, Model A exhaust manifold, and a rebuilt vintage (centrifugal advance) distributor, it should be a good strong engine.

Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Rob,

That sounds like lots of fun!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I hope that my T never needs a crank, but if it ever does, that's the one that I want!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to press the crank gear on the shaft before you bolt it down. Using a hammer to drive the gear on in the block really abuses the thrust bearing. Isn't the Scat crank a thing of beauty? We have put in quite a few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Looks like the flywheel flange is thicker than on the stock Ford crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Yes, I think you're right, it does look a little heavier there.
It may be an optical illusion because its shiney....I'm hoping so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Now that the engines finished, I figured I should resurrect this thread.
Its such a shame to hide one of these beautiful cranks inside an engine, but then again, the engine doesn't look too bad either.
I haven't picked it up yet, so these pics were supplied by the chap who put it all together for me. Eventually it'll have an aluminium High Volume inlet manifold, with a Stan Howe rebuilt OF hanging off it, topped off with a Model A exhaust manifold.
Can you tell that I cant wait to get my hands on this gorgeous Canadian Red-head?
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Rob,

You are going to have lots of fun with your speedster! Have you been working on the body/chassis while the engine was being completed?

Please keep adding new photos as things continue to come together.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

It should run much smoother than with the original crank.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration